Tuesday 8 September 2015

The Garlic Tree celebrates Summer

Now that we're into September, it is with a heavy heart that I say that Summer is just about over. So I thought I'd serve up a bonus post in which I give a brief glimpse of the scene I adopted for my restaurant, The Garlic Tree, over the hot months.

Last year I used three different surroundings for my outdoor section. The riverside, beach and park all featured, but this time around I opted to apply a different strategy. Instead of regularly freshening up throughout June, July and August, I opted to apply just one theme and invest heavily to make it as impressive as possible.

That theme was, inevitably, the beach!

Beach section of The Garlic Tree

After much deliberation I decided to open up one of the smaller themed sections (the one next to the foyer) so as to give more space for the beach to spread out. Doing so allowed me to fit three major floor decorations in a row - the Game Booth and Ferris Wheel were both rewards from the carnival goals back in July 2013, and it was very satisfying to finally get them and their bright colours put to good use. Until now only the Ferris Wheel had made a significant appearance in my place in a winter scene earlier this year.

Likewise it was a relief to show off my Ice Cream Truck at last! This is a second prize in the Ice Cream Crate which I purchased at 28 gems in the special Christmas sale in 2014. It's right at home at the seaside, and with Carnival Balloons and the Rose Seller also in close proximity, there's a really cheery feel to the scene.

The other significant item on show is the Hut Bar. I've coveted this 4x4 beauty ever since its release around this time last year, but had never had reason to invest until recently. But when I realised I had a central spot to fill in my beach, this was the only reasonable option. It was a 20 gem outlay, but it's 20 gems well spent as far as I'm concerned. The colours match the light tones of my Desert Sand, Zen Sand, and Pine Dividers perfectly, plus what's a summer beach without some alcoholic beverages!

To the side of the Hut Bar is My Fair Gran-Gran. I debated long and hard about buying Key West Gran-Gran since she'd be a jewel in the crown with her strong cocktail and tropical outfit, but in the end felt that another 20 gems for this was a step too far. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up giving in and placing her next summer!

The other characters on display are Hanbok Phoebe, Captain Phoebe and the Tubers. All fit in just fine, particularly the Tubers, who at 8 gems I still regard to be an absolute steal. They are positioned right next to the water against a backdrop of Cruise Deck Chairs and Beach Parasols. It's the standard procedure for a commercial beach, although there's no bed booking to be had here!

The Playful Parasol, Potted Palm, Anchor Sign and Trashcan are all also present, mainly to act as fillers for the area. As I often preach, small items which are individually trivial can really help bring a theme together. I hope that has worked here.

Now not everyone wants something boozy to drink when they're at the beach, so I've installed a lemonade section to quench the thirst.

Lemonade section of The Garlic Tree

Located at the end of the Zen Sand path, this area is headlined by Phoebe's Stand. A quality prize from the lemon goals in June, I really love the range of goods on show in this piece. The Hawaiian Tables and Coconut Chairs tie the section in to the tropical atmosphere out on the beach. And have you spotted the Lake Fisher? I hear he is looking to swap a lemon sole for a lemonade!

If the temperature does get a little too high out there, the bots are welcome to step inside and cool down in the arcade.

Arcade section of The Garlic Tree

Once again I've messed with the architecture of my diner, with two zones combined into one.

Quite a few TGT favourites are seen here, including the Bowling Alley, Ping Pong Table and Pool Table. They've never been seen together before though, so it was nice to link them up for a section. I purchased the Coin Operated Rocket to fill a gap and the Gumball MachineRetro Gumball Machine and Pinball Machine also provide some fun for the likes of the Lounge Lizard and Pool Shark.

To be honest I'm not all that happy with this area. The Red and Black floor tiles are a little too punchy, while the Aged Brick wallpaper is gloomier than I'd have liked. All in all there's a lack of unity. I'm my own worst critic! But I wasn't keen to splash the gems on my arcade, so it was always going to fall a little short.

So let's whisk ourselves away from the arcade, and instead seek refuge on a tropical island.

Tropical island in beach section of The Garlic Tree

Found somewhere off the coast of The Garlic Tree is a rather square looking island which is packed with action. I paid up 20 gems for the Fire Dancers, which I just adore. Throwing in some Tropical Torches, Island Drummers and the Mexican Dancer results in a really exotic scene. And I've also utilised a couple of underwhelming fourth prizes from past box openings - the Parrot Tree and Toucan Tree are individually quite diminutive, but again bringing them together with other related content can create something memorable.

I've really wanted to do a tropical island for a very long time. The Island Chest and Beach Resort Box have some quality items, but it would inevitably be an expensive venture to get the best of the goodies. The release of the Fire Dancers has been something of a catalyst for an island development, and I'm delighted with the outcome.

And it is marooned on a tropical island that we finish. At some point over the next week I'll be hitting design mode to search out some Autumn decorations and introduce some of the reds, browns and oranges that make Autumn such a beautiful time of year. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment