Monday 2 November 2015

A Halloween showcase

The dust has settled on another Halloween, with the skeletons firmly back in the closet. But that doesn't mean we can't distribute some more fear into the world, and so I present a Halloween showcase!

At Christmas last year I offered a glimpse into some of the festive creations a few of my blog-contributing neighbours had conjured up, and so I'd like to repeat that now with a look at some of the tricks and treats that Halloween has inspired...


We'll start at Nibble and Noms, who posts regularly on the blog as Whipped Cream.

Nibbles and Noms

Sometimes I wonder why the game is actually called Restaurant Story. After all outside of the goals there's not really a story being told as such. But Whipped Cream has history for creating storylines that have all visitors gripped. Earlier this year she captured the imagination on the Storm8 Forum with the tale of 'Loretta and Hazel's Journey Around the World', and has outdone herself with her restaurant caper this Halloween.

Whipped Cream's diner is laid out in the form of a Cluedo board. Every single one of the classic rooms is in there, complete with a character. Highlights include the conservatory which is home to Cashier Lee and his collection of luscious plants and the ballroom which holds the Two to Tango who are jigging to the sound of the Violinist's strings and Gran's Phonograph.

But this is only the beginning of Whipped Cream's inventiveness. Because shortly after this wonderful theme was unveiled, there was breaking news: 'someone has turned the butler into a scarecrow'. What?!

Crime scene at Nibbles and Noms

What was a fun arrangement had taken a sinister twist. Over the next couple of weeks Detective Phoebe undertook an in-depth investigation into this incident, and things got grim as one-by-one the guests were vanishing into thin air. Phoebe had to step up her examination, and the discovery of a secret passageway between the study and kitchen meant big progress.

Eventually she solved the crime - it was the Jock and the Ice Skating Girl! They had wanted to get together but the butler disapproved, causing the Jock to take heinous action. And from there things spiralled out of control. Everything's fine now though!

The originality of Whipped Cream's Halloween story is just genius. I've never come across such an intricate and detailed plan behind a restaurant layout, and doubt I'll ever see better! It's amazing the brainwork that the mystery crimes update inspired!



The next stop on our voyage is to Mexi's Diner.

Mexi's Diner

Having provided more comments than anyone in 2015 under the username mexispice, here we have another player with an awesome eye for detail.

There are numerous major decorations on show at Mexi's Diner, including both the Haunted House and Trick-or-Treaters. However unlike many players, mexispice has opted to keep the two separated by a rugged path of Garden Stones, and use the Haunted Clock Tower as a backdrop to the Trick-or-Treaters. This puts an alternative yet intriguing slant on the Trick-or-Treaters for me - their smiles may not be a result of being laden with candy but instead the consequence of having been courageous enough to enter the intimidating clock tower.

Something else innovative I'd like to draw your attention to is the Psychic Reader towards the bottom. She's surrounded on two sides by curtained walls, but should be exposed on the nearer sides. Yet mexispice has used some real initiative by incorporating five appliances to enclose the psychic. The colour scheme works well, and more importantly the psychic should be able to concentrate much better!

Let's zoom in on the part of Mexi's Diner where the food is awaiting.

Food section of Mexi's Diner

All the food on display here is of Halloween origin. That's some attention to detail there, and takes some work to pull off, particularly when you have an efficient layout as mexispice does. The Halloween dishes are all so bright and in your face, which fits nicely with the many colours presented within the rest of the décor.

Much of this colour bursts out from the area with the Mad Chemist at the centre. There's so much detail on each of the Potion Vials, Pumpkin Punch, Aromatics Display and Fairy Jars that when you throw them all together it really conveys the busyness of the chemist.

The organised chaos is completed by the Monster Mash, which stands loud and proud in the corner. A first prize in an ancient box, it was re-released last Halloween, and has got the zaniness to match the surroundings. It's fair to say that mexispice made a great investment!



Time to travel to our third destination, which is long-term contributor Fat Bear.

Fat Bear

Considering that Fat Bear has a disturbing infatuation with Halloween, expectations were high. And yet she has nailed it! There are Fallen Trees dotted all over the outdoor area as per usual, but there's some real regimental structure to be found among the wild flora. There are three homes along the right wall, each separated so cleverly with a Starry Sky wallpaper. Each has it's own unique front garden scene, and leads out to the Stepping Stone street.

When tiptoeing along the road you'll pass the Haunted Clock Tower. I'm not sure that Fat Bear has moved this 4x4 giant once since buying it last Halloween! It is one of the great Halloween items, and therefore it's no surprise to see it staying put for so long.

Beyond the Fall Garden and Duval St Chickens (which are so well incorporated into an actual crossroads) there's an opportunity to visit the Haunted House. Here's you'll find the Parisian Waitress holding a tray of cakes. This is a truly magnificent catch - the Parisian Waitress is the perfect fit for Halloween since she's all set with the goodies for the trick or treaters.

However it's in the kitchen section I wish to place the focus.

Kitchen section of Fat Bear

The delirious expression on the face of the Mad Scientist has taken on all new meaning! Here he is looking upon the results of his messing with a Food Replicator. Instead of cloning food he seems to have successfully duplicated the Mad Chemist, with a stream of them taking control of the kitchen.

This is a great concept, but I don't think it would have quite the same effect if it wasn't for the way the kitchen has been given a makeover for Halloween. There are some great choices on display, from the Halloween themed appliances and Steampunk Lamps to the Digital Solar System and Lab Experiment. Together it gives for a frenetic scene which can be looked at for ages, and you'll continue to spot something new!

But something that's certainly not new in Fat Bear's kitchen is the spoilt pot of Eyeball Stew. Originally cooked last October, this famous stew stood unspoilt for longer than any other recipe in the history of the game thanks to a shocker of a coding bug. With the Eyeball Stew long since removed, this is an artefact that Fat Bear is keeping forever!



Now to your fourth venue in this spooky showcase, which is The Red Chair.

The Red Chair

Home of blog commenter Laura Beth, The Red Chair housed four distinct areas this Halloween. The kitchen zone is the one at the front, where the Witch's Kitchen is in place. You really see here how well the final prize from this year's goals combines with the two appliances. The deep purples allow the floor decoration and cookers to subtly merge into one, and allows Laura to save some space exquisitely. I think it can be very easy to allow a kitchen section to overflow and dominate your restaurant (I speak from experience!) so you can't underestimate how well it's been confined here.

The two outdoor zones at the sides host the three most coveted decorations yet again - the Haunted Clock Tower, Haunted House and Trick-or-Treaters feature in each of the three traditional Halloween styled places we've visited thus far! The Venetian flooring makes for an excellent pathway from the Cemetery Archway up to the clock tower, and the added touch of Potted Plants around the Tombstone Tables is really poignant.

I can't help but notice that the Haunted House and Trick-or-Treaters are positioned in the same way they are in my diner! It's no surprise though - they work so well as a combination, and Laura has taken it a step further by dropping the Mad Chemist in as a fifth member of the costumed party. A very canny move!

But it's the last of the corners I want to take the closest look at.

Crystal Room corner of The Red Chair

Who would have thought the Crystal Room would be such a successful inclusion in a Halloween theme? Yet Laura has proven it's worthiness here, with the dark purple tones playing beautifully into the whimsical side of Halloween. Normally a box first prize, Laura picked up the Crystal Room for a bargain price in the Christmas 2014 sale.

But alone I don't think the Crystal Room would have much impact. The fact that it has been positioned alongside the Psychic Reader and Coffin Couple is what makes this corner so impressive. Each of these major decorations has a purple element to it, and together you get a cool setting. Also, having the Potion Vials and Chilled Drink helps draw the items together. I reckon the guy from the Coffin Couple could really do with a chilled drink, just to encourage him to chill out and put those fangs away!



The showcase is almost over, but there's one last restaurant we need to visit. And that is Garden party, who is another long time reader and contributor.

Garden party

I'd suggest that Garden party took something of a risk with her Halloween restaurant, since it breaks from the tradition of having lots of different types of item in place, usually with an outdoor area. But it has paid off in the grand manner!

Here we have a gigantic laboratory, with several beautifully designed elements. On the left is the experimental section, where the Mad Chemists are juggling beakers. The Lab Experiment is a natural choice for the centrepiece, but there are some more unusual choices too which are inspired. The Robot Chef is one of these (presumably a work of the chemists!) as are the Futuristic Displays. They are right at home in the lab, which leaves me wondering why I hadn't thought of that!

Towards the top there's another Lab Experiment in place, but this one stands at the front of a classroom. Who'd have thought we'd be seeing science class for Halloween! But Garden party has pulled it off with the rows of tables and chairs, and has added a special touch with the Holographic Greeter being the teacher. Suddenly science class seems really enticing!

But for the closer inspection, there is only one possible part of Garden party to home in on.

Cloning section of Garden party

It's a cloning machine for Phoebe! With the Mad Chemist at the Cash Register and Steampunk Arcade controls, he's breaking the laws of physics big time. The entire system has been put together with such flair - from the Bubble Pillar and Seoul Towers to the Futuristic Dividers and Steampunk Lamps, Garden party has come up with something very special here.

The floor tile choices also help convey the flow of this scene, with the Sparkle tile used so intelligently. And at the end we have an army of Phoebe's being churned out. So far Hanbok Phoebe, Barista Phoebe, Arbor Day Phoebe, Manager Phoebe, Detective Phoebe and Captain Phoebe have all been produced, and are lined up to attention. I take back any complaints I've ever had about there being too many Phoebe decorations!

To top things off, this army has a general, with the Robo Dog quite clearly in charge. I have no idea what his intentions are, but I'm sure he could run an excellent restaurant with all those Phoebes!



So that is the end of this Halloween showcase. It's been a real joy to bring you some of the great creativity I'm privy to day in, day out from my wonderful neighbours. My only regret is not having done more of these showcases. This is only the second one after the Christmas 2014 edition, so I promise it won't take quite so long to produce the next!

11 comments:

  1. Awesome :) I'm a blogger myself so I know that comments are helpful. It bugged me when I finally got to your restaurant and saw you had tons of readers but hardly any of them comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of the problem when it comes to comments is that the game itself is probably an easier way to leave comments than the blog. I've got a good few neighbours who I have conversation with in the game but have rarely posted on here.

      To be honest, that doesn't bother me! I enjoy receiving comments of all sorts, be it via my wall or on the blog, so whatever suits! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sadly not Kakasparks. She went MIA many months ago and hasn't been seen since. She's been a real loss - hopefully she may pop up again sometime.

      On a different topic, are we neighbours? Apologies if we are (sometimes I'm dreadful at connecting usernames with restaurants!) but if we're not feel free to leave your Storm8 ID. I can delete the comment ASAP if you don't want it in the open. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for featuring me in this showcase, and for your kind words!
    It was so much fun to see it here, and to read about the other awesome restaurants. I love love love the showcase! They are all SO great.
    I love seeing what other people are doing and the creativity and the difference that using just one thing differently than it was intended can make.

    I'm ashamed to say that I quite forgot about commenting, because I read your posts every week in my email, but I too know comments are great. And you just cover everything so well, I fear I have nothing substantial to contribute!
    Thanks again for being a great neighbor and running this great blog. Makes me super proud to be mentioned here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming up with such a fantastic set-up!

      See above for some of my feelings regarding comments! :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for doing my resto such justice! Being busy on vacation I didn't have time to give an explanation, but you read my mind! I was definitely going for a small kitchen area, so I could keep the focus on all the large Halloween items I had in storage. I didn't realize I was doing it at the time, but I did copy your design of putting the trick-or-treaters in front of the haunted house. I loved your design so much last year, that I stored it in my subconscious memory for this year. I guess I shouldn't plagiarize the person that is featuring me on their blog... busted ;) I'm also very proud of my full moon clock placement and how I was able to blend the hands in with the tree branches to make it look like a real moon. Adding the Mad Chemist to the group was a bit of an accident. I took him out as a potential decoration and after not finding a spot for him, I moved him to the side and wallah! a perfect fit with the other costumed kids.

    I had hoped you would feature my Halloween party corner and sure enough you did! I had no idea the Crystal Room would fit so well, but apparently Storm 8 has decided purple is the new orange when it comes to Halloween and I love how it turned out! I originally had the mad scientist and Mexican dancer as a couple at the party (as they are currently set up at my place), but I had that purple potion on a mismatched counter and didn't want to throw it out, so they ended up working instead of partying with everyone else :-)

    As for the other featured restaurants: I always knew the Jock was up to no good and now it has been proven! I love the idea of all Halloween themed food and even had the passing thought that I could pull it off in my place, but being on vacation was not conducive to cooking. While decorating I had really wished I would have purchased Monster Mash last year, so it was nice to see it featured at another place. I revisited your post and after seeing that it was 70 gems, I remember why I didn't buy it. Lastly the idea of a cloning machine is so brilliant and wonderfully executed in both places. Finally a use for all the Phoebe's we received this year :) You sure have some creative neighbors! Thanks so much for this awesome post!! Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I wish the trick-or-treaters could be walking up to the house with their backs facing us, but we all know most decorations only turn in two directions (boooo!). I'm sure this is something that's already been addressed in suggestion box ;-)

      Delete
    2. Firstly, excellent suggestion! I've just scanned through the ever growing list and I don't think I've ever actually asked for freedom to rotate items in any direction. So it's going on the to-do list!

      Your full moon placement is so clever! It's the kind of detail that is so easy to miss, so I'm glad you pointed it out. We could do with a full moon decoration that isn't a clock at all, but failing that we all know how to mask it now! :)

      Delete
  5. [WARNING: Long comment ahead] Finally got the chance to read your showcase - let's go!

    Oooh! I’m first this year! :D

    (Ack. I’m flattered you think I’m an excellent storyteller, but your posting of Loretta and Hazel’s journey reminded me that I never quite finished their story on the forums! Thank you for the reminder; I gotta get to that soon.)

    I’m glad you enjoyed the storyline, and that it seemed sinister enough to work as a Halloween theme :) One of my biggest worries with it was that it wouldn’t seem spooky or scary enough since I didn’t really use any traditional Halloween decor this year. I was also going to originally do a murder mystery, where the characters died one by one rather than disappeared, but I felt that might have been too dark (and illogical since I’d probably use them in future themes anyway :P). Thankfully it seems people enjoyed it regardless, and the huge amount of positive feedback I got throughout and after the mystery makes me want to do another soon :)

    Mexi’s Diner is so colorful and fun! I really commend her for tailoring her menu to the Halloween theme. As someone who’s tried to do this for multiple themes in the past, I can understand how difficult it is to pull off, and she did it really well :) Kudos! Her place is definitely where I would want to be for a Halloween party.

    Gotta disagree with you about the Psychic Reader though, TGT. If anything, I imagine the yummy smells from the surrounding appliances would cause her focus to waver! :P

    Fat Bear did an amazing job with the row of houses and the crossroads! The trick-or-treaters fit in really well, looking like they were exiting after having gotten their candy, and the different doors for each ‘establishment’ really gave it a streetside feel. Amazing!

    And I daresay that Mad Scientist has been busy in Fat Bear’s kitchen! There’s goo on the tables, potions galore, spoiled Eyeball Stew - how’s that poor dishwasher supposed to get any work done when his sink keeps getting piled on with beakers?? :P Although, it’s amazing that Fat Bear has been able to keep the Eyeball Stew for so long. It’s really become a centerpiece of her restaurant, and I hope it never goes away! :D

    I nearly kicked myself for not picking up the Crystal Room last Christmas when I saw how well it was utilized in The Red Chair. Laura Beth made it work amazingly well with the other Halloween items in her restaurant! It was a great addition, and really established a spooky, yet party-going atmosphere in her upper corner.

    I also thought her use of the Witch’s Kitchen was superb. Their relative seclusion from the rest of the diners and decoration-bots makes them appear extra sneaky. Just what could they be getting up to as they prepare some delicious Halloween delicacies?

    And finally, Garden Party’s cloning lab! It’s such a clever use of the different Phoebes we have on hand, and her construction of the cloning device is just as amazing. The Steampunk Arcades, the Bubble Pillar, the Futuristic Dividers - wow. So much attention to detail there, and it really paid off incredibly well.

    It looks like the Chemist may have used that machine on himself as well if the kitchen is any indication ;) I didn’t realize the adjacent section to be a classroom at first, but after reading your description it makes total sense. Are the chemists conducting questionable experiments while the visiting bots’ backs are turned? :O

    Having access to your wall via your restaurant, I’ve been able to visit your neighbors and see their places in person, but this showcase was absolutely spectacular. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it! I can’t wait for the next one if/when you think of writing another :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you worry Whipped Cream, there will definitely be more showcases! I'm going to try branching out to include some of my other neighbours and blog contributors rather than stick with the same four or five diners. So don't be offended if you don't get the invitation for the next one! You'll absolutely feature again at some point!

      I think you made a good decision to tone down the level of crime - a murder may have been a little too gruesome, although I'm sure everyone would still have followed it just as closely!

      Your short reviews of the other restaurants are fantastic. Maybe I'll just kick back, relax, and let you write the next showcase! :)

      Delete