Saturday 1 April 2017

RS2 News (Apr 2017)

This is your monthly digest of news from the sequel title, Restaurant Story 2. Or at least it should be.

When I provided my last round-up we were twiddling our thumbs having gone a fortnight without any new updates. Sadly our thumbs are worn out now as there has been absolutely nothing since then. That means that the Mardi Gras themed cruise initially released on 23rd February remains the last addition of any description to the game.

Now before I go any further a quick caveat - I actually wrote this post on Thursday as I'm away this weekend. So if there was in fact an update provided on Friday then this is all moot! (And a similar rule applies to the original game - any update between yesterday and this coming Tuesday won't be given the treatment until I'm home on Wednesday!)

At the time of that last post, I wasn't too worried about the lack of new stuff, mostly because the cruise does take up a couple of weeks once you account for players who make a delayed start. But beyond that there's not really any reasoning for the quiet.

And what makes it all the more concerning is that Storm8 seem to have engineered a return to normality in several of their other titles. For instance, Dragon Story and Fantasy Forest Story have returned to their usual portfolio of events, while Bakery Story received a goal set on Thursday - a second update in as many weeks.

 RS2 News
 11/03/17 March 2017
 04/02/17 February 2017
 07/01/17 January 2017
 03/12/16 December 2016
 05/11/16 November 2016

Unfortunately Restaurant Story 2 has not fared so well of late, and the same can be said of the original game too, which only had one release of totally new content throughout March. Why could this be? There are a multitude of possibilities - maybe these games were unlucky enough to have the core of their staff among those laid off whilst the other apps dodged a bullet.

But I think (and fear) that it may all come down to which of Storm8's fleet is the most profitable. It's fair to say that just from the general reactions of players Restaurant Story 2 has essentially flopped, and that's after it probably took a lot of time and money to create a game which prides itself on its 3D graphics and smart interface. Effectively it makes sense from a business perspective that if RS2 is the weak link in the game's developers armour then it should be the one to be given the least attention at a time when resources are stretched.

But that then leads to the question of whether the same can be said of the original, as it has not had the attention of those games I mentioned earlier since the redundancies. I'd hate to think that Restaurant Story is no longer capable of making money for Storm8 - in the long term that can only lead to one thing and it would be very sad to see it fall away while other games which have been around equally as long battle on.

It's certainly been a quiet month in Restaurant Story 2. I've been ploughing my ingredients into recipe mastery, and have even taken the hit in purchasing the Festival Stove for 1,600 gems in order to have access to its solitary dish. Absolutely not a clever investment, but I've got nothing else to spend my huge gem balance on at present, so why not?! I'm approaching 800 mastery stars and will continue to dream of catching my great neighbour Creme's total!

Here's hoping that next month's edition of this segment includes more than just some gloomy mutterings!

2 comments:

  1. Apologies for this belated post, I was hoping to catch the moment when you reach 800 mastery stars (which will be any time soon)!

    Glad our thumbs are getting some exercise now with a re-released cruise event, though I wish S8 would consider other earlier (and non-wedding theme :) cruise events. It's a shame that RS2 didn't hit the sweet spot as it has much to offer - think gem-producing recipes, changeable counter designs, and cooked food that never spoils! :)

    You've inspired me to get the Festival Stove, and I've full confidence that you'll top the mastery stars count! Here's looking forward to your next monthly edition, and hopefully things will start looking up in small ways for RS2! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of right now I'm sitting on 799 mastery stars - on the brink!

      I believe this is now the third time the wedding themed cruise event has appeared which is borderline infuriating. I only really bother with these repeat events because there's nothing else going on.

      Without the mastery stars to reach for I doubt I'd still be playing which is sad. I'd be surprised if RS2 makes it out of 2017 to be honest - it just doesn't seem to get much attention from Storm8 anymore.

      Good luck with the Festival Stove. Going to take a VERY long time to master its one and only recipe! :)

      Delete