Thursday 1 January 2015

Game update: 31/12/14

Happy New Year everyone! Yesterday brought the 53rd and final weekly update of 2014, with a space theme seeing out the year.

Notification for space update

It's certainly not the theme we were all expecting, but here's the list of new stuff all the same...

Tables:
  • Rocket Table - 5 gems
Chairs:
  • Rocket Stool - 30,000 coins
Wall decorations:
  • Moon Clock - 38,000 coins
Floor decorations:
  • Moon Landing - 80 gems
  • Coin Operated Rocket - 100,000 coins
Wallpapers:
  • Blast Off - 27,500 coins
Counters:
  • Rocket Counter - 15 gems

And there's also a new recipe for your preparing pleasure on the Drink Machine. More on that later! You have to be at level 75 to access the new content, making it the last batch of decorations players will unlock on their journey.

For a preview of almost all of the new decor take a look at this image provided by the TeamLava Blog:

Items from update as shown on TeamLava Blog

Note that the floor tile shown around the edge of the place in the above picture is the Sparkle tile already in the market.

A space theme is certainly a bit out there (ahem!) It's perhaps surprising that this rather common theme for games with a variety of concepts hasn't been comprehensively covered before, although we have had related content in the past. Back when the futuristic range of items was being added in 2012 there was a Rocket Ship limited time offer of a similar design to the Moon Landing. It was for 54 gems. And I am certain the Coin Operated Rocket - or something very close to it - has been offered before. Anyone able to shine a light on this one? I'd love to know!

Anyway the big concern with this update are the gem costs. The same was the case with the New Year themed update last week, although at least this time the expensive stuff is a little more justified due to the high level of unlock. That doesn't mean experienced players will happily part with serious gems mind you, and generally the higher prices are a real turn off.

A prime example is the Rocket Counter, which at 15 gems is (as far as I'm aware) the most expensive counter in Restaurant Story history. Who on earth (or indeed on any planet!) would part with 15 gems for one counter? It's a ridiculous price tag, even if the counter itself is a decent design.

The Rocket Table isn't much better even if it isn't record-breaking. Long-term readers will be well aware of my disdain for tables with glass surfaces, and that's exactly what's available here. Overall this table looks quite cheap in appearance - oh the irony!

At least the Rocket Stool is up for coins, albeit 30,000 coins a time. That makes it one of the most dear we've seen, and with a model rocket underneath the seat you can't exactly utilise it in many scenarios outwith a space theme. So without the corresponding table this chair is kind of useless in my view.

The new wallpaper is also a coin addition. The Blast Off wallpaper features a rocket plus several planets on a starry background. I quite like this one actually, although when placing several copies in a row the repeating rockets might look a little tiresome. Maybe this wallpaper could be utilised in a futuristic setting with all the already available stuff?

Also on the wall is the Moon Clock. At least this decoration is more versatile. You could certainly look to include it in a Halloween design, or indeed any outdoor section which is set at night.

Now we move to the aforementioned floor decorations. I reckon the Moon Landing takes the gong for the biggest rip-off the game has ever seen. At 80 gems it is one of the most expensive items ever added, and yet is only 3x3 in size! For such a massive investment you fully expect to get something really substantial, and this decoration is absolutely not that. It isn't even that tall! All in all a very disappointing addition.

On the other hand the Coin Operated Rocket has its merits. It's one of those ropey rides for children which wouldn't look out of place in a carnival environment. Hmm. I've actually bought this 2x2 piece with the carnival in mind - a carnival is a theme I could well do in the Summer, and this ride would work nicely with some of the existing attractions like the Ferris Wheel and Game Booth.

I think it would be fair to say that overall I've not been too enamoured by this update, but all is not yet lost. The new recipe is still to be discussed, and it could yet salvage the situation.

Rocket Fuel Punch

The Rocket Fuel Punch should not be drunk in real life, but might be worth considering stocking in your diner since it seems to come out pretty well in the recipe ratings...

Rocket Fuel Punch
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
10 3 10 10 3 7.6

The punch doesn't actually top the charts in any of the factors despite earning three purples. It places second best for profit and portions behind the Kiwi & Cake (Basic Oven) and has a similar profit per plate number to most of the other 6 hour dishes. It's only with regards to XP that the punch falls down, although bear in mind this is largely due to the supreme stats of the Technicolor Cake (Basic Oven) rather than any of the other recipes in the duration.

An overall rating of 7.6 looks pretty healthy, and in fact makes the Rocket Fuel Punch the leading 6 hour offering! It takes the Technicolor Cake's place in the Hall of Fame! That's a real surprise, although it should be taken with caution - remember that the ratings measure overall performance. If you're really after big XP returns the cake is still your go-to dish, but when it comes to 6 hours the punch packs a punch for profit and portions.

I'm glad we were able to draw some positives out of the last update of 2014 in the end! The bulk of the new content really doesn't do it for me and the pricing only fuels the fire. But a beast of a recipe rescues the update from obscurity.

Here's to many fine updates in the coming year!

6 comments:

  1. Firstly, Happy New Year! This certainly was a surprising update. I don't think I've ever seen anything priced at 80 gems before!

    I actually really really like the Moon Landing decoration! For me, this piece is just simply cool!.. not sure what I like about it, perhaps it's that I haven't seen anything like it in RS before, and I really like the 'space' theme. Yes, far too overpriced considering it's only 3x3, but I actually prefer the piece at this size - I feel it would be too big if it were 4x4. Even with that enormous price tag I might have even considered buying it!. The main thing to hold me back? ...lack of additional content to make a theme from it - yes there are some new additions, but as you said, so many are for gems. So a stand alone rocket might look out of place unless you happen to be very creative with your placement of it.

    I hope others are able to enjoy this update more than us.. for now, I'm making some more Rocket Fuel!! I remember you asking for more alcoholic drinks in your suggestion box once... do you think this counts? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more than alcoholic, it's toxic!

      I'm surprised but pleased to hear of a player liking the Moon Landing. You've got some of the Sparkle tile so I guess you could build something from that. Perhaps a train ride to the Moon?! :D

      Delete
  2. I think the Coin Operated Rocket looks so familiar because there was a Coin Operated Plane in Bakery Story (ironically for gems). I purchased one too, just to have in case I need it. It would be great as a carnival item, or perhaps on the sidewalk outside a restaurant door.
    I actually like to the rocket stools, if only because I always do a "back to school" theme when it's that time of year, and I think those would be adorable placed in that context.
    I dislike buying items that are too specific and can only be used in one theme, though I will if I like them enough. However, for me, the Moon Landing is not one of those. I'd rather spend the gems on an expansion considering how hard it is for me to accumulate enough coins to make those happen.

    I do like the idea of a space theme, but this one is so gem heavy that it barely counts, even with the futuristic items from years past. Hopefully this just leaves the door open for them to revisit this theme in the future though, because I really would love an astronomical gastronomical restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great catch on the Coin Operated Plane, although it isn't what I'm thinking of. I vaguely remember visiting a veteran player's restaurant earlier this year that had a few space themed items I had never seen before including the Rocket Ship mentioned above and a kids ride like this one. Maybe I'm still feeling the effects of New Year! :P

      Delete
  3. Like Garden Party said, there's a Coin Operated Plane in Bakery. Perhaps that was it? ;)

    I made a straight beeline for my New Year's section when I saw that Moon Clock! It sets perfectly against the backdrop of the Fireworks Celebration wallpaper, and was just what I needed to complete the section. Now my partygoers can do a proper countdown! It's a shame I'll have to take it down soon :( I'm not ready to redecorate!

    Otherwise, I don't particularly care for this update. I think it's a good introduction to an outer space theme, much like the recent update in Bakery was a good introduction to a Steampunk theme, but the prices are just exorbitant, in my opinion. Even first-place box prizes, at full price, only cost 70 gems. I don't think the level of detail on the Moon Landing warrants the 80 gem price, though I agree with Black Pepper that 3x3 is a fine size for the piece. Maybe if the developers decide to release a set of outer space-themed goals, I might change my mind, but for now, there's so little to work with that I'm just not interested.

    Hope you had a good New Year's Eve (I think I saw you in my restaurant party!), and a very Happy New Year to you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What oven/machine do I use to get the punch?

    ReplyDelete