Friday 26 June 2015

App update: 25/06/15

Late on yesterday there was a new version of Restaurant Story released for iOS devices on the App Store.

Version 1.7.6 is purported to include 'bug fixes' and 'performance improvements', but I can safely say that this is not the case.

The main change is one which I've been expecting for some time. A while back the game's developers rebranded as part of their celebration for reaching one billion downloads. Part of the makeover included bringing all of the Story games under the Storm8 label rather than the TeamLava title. Restaurant Story appears to be one of the last to receive this rebranding.


Title screen for Restaurant Story

Now Storm8 appears in the initial splash screen upon opening the app, although TeamLava are still given as the developer on the App Store. So there's the first blunder of this update.

And if you're using an iPad then upon loading the game you are met with plenty more cock-ups. I refer mainly to the menus, which have become massive and awkward looking.

My problem isn't as much with the increase in the size of the windows, but with the lack of proportion. The numerous buttons and much of the accompanying text is the same size as it was before the update, leaving lots of empty space. It looks ridiculous and is something that I can't see myself ever getting used to.

New look recipe lists

The same goes for the recipe lists, where everything has been scaled up except for the images of the dishes. It results in an unpleasant view, where the depictions of the foods almost take a back seat which is just not right.

I'm pretty certain that these changes were either unintended or not supposed to come out as they have. There are too many messy components - the text box for writing wall posts doesn't stretch across the whole window, the 'pending gifts' and 'news feed' titles are squashed, and the maxed appliance message overflows the market interface.

And it's worth noting that this issue only seems to apply to the iPad version - I also own an old iPod Touch, and after downloading the same update have found no changes to the layout of the menus.

There are a few other minor alterations which apply across the board. For example when you cook a recipe or buy an item in the market, the cost which pops up alongside is now in red to reflect that it is being taken off your balance. At least this is a sensible and well-executed amendment.

And when it comes to decorating there's a subtle difference. Previously you could pick up an item and move it all in one tap. Now things are less smooth as you have to tap once to select the item and then hold down to drag it around. I'm not sure what this achieves and feel that Storm8's time and money would surely have been better spent elsewhere (like on getting the menus right!)

There's been a similar update for Bakery Story too, and it has also included a new feature which I do like.

Free gem notification

There is now an option to watch promotional videos for other apps which result in a 1 gem reward. These videos are typically up to 30 seconds in length and can easily be closed once done, so I reckon are a no brainer. And the best thing is that there wasn't just one or two such videos... there were 10! So that was 10 free gems which I'm really pleased about.

After 10 videos I was notified that there would be more videos available to watch in 1 day. I have my doubts, but if I'm going to get 10 free gems every day then it's quite an update!

As of now I've not had any video opportunities in Restaurant Story, but since the two games are very much connected will be keeping my eyes peeled! That would even make the shambolic new interface bearable!

But overall this is a really shocking update. It's substandard execution gives me the sense that the game's developers don't really care and aren't all that committed to the game. That's really sad and when you've been a daily player for almost three years it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

Here's hoping that the gamemakers fix things up quickly and get back on track.

7 comments:

  1. Did other users get instead of the gem option the possibility to watch ads and speed up the cooking time by 2h? i double click the appliance and besides the regular buttons (instantly finish and start a new dish) i get a green button to watch ads.
    I dont know which option is better- gems or speed cooking (imagine doing missions with this), but i feel like i should at least get a chance to choose

    ReplyDelete
  2. @just_two_m: I noticed the green option too.

    Really shocking update indeed! Other things I'm *very* unhappy about this update:
    --there's definitely an issue with the font and scaling. I play on iPhone 6+ and all the letters overlap and extend outside of text box.
    --all the "achievement" messages for mastering a recipe, instead of specific recipe name, appear with "Label", i.e. "You've been promoted! Label". I'm guessing there's a link missing to the name database or something...
    --it may be just me, but anyone else notice the "lag" when you tap to select, prepare, or serve food? I wonder if it has to do with the new ad video feature?
    --selecting neighbors in "Gift" panel now forces you to tap right on the checkbox, whereas previously you could tap anywhere in the neighbor's name textbox.
    --not to mention auto-selecting a random? gift item when you simply "gift back"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not happy with the gifting.. Seems like I'm forced to gift what the games wants me to instead of what I choosed... I am happy thigh with the " watch and earn free gems " on restaurant story. I have so far earned 148 gems in the past 2 days. THANK YOU STORM 8

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments folks!

    There's clearly a lot more wrong with this update than just what I posted about on Friday. Considering the range of issues it's difficult to make sense of just how Storm8 have managed to release such a bug ridden update. At first you suspect they missed out the testing stage, but surely this number of errors would not be normal?!

    The fixed gift bug is perhaps the most irritating (at least to me). When neighbours send a part request I always try to also gift back the same part, so this is a nightmare. For now you can work around it by going to the Social section and gifting from there, but it's obviously not ideal.

    Good for you with the 'watch and earn' G McEachran! I've not had any video opportunities yet in RS (for gems or cooking) but have in BS. So far I've accrued more than 200 gems from 'watching' videos! Not sure how much longer I'll be able to get away with that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tôi vào xem video rồi bị mất kết nối, nghĩa là video đã chạy xong 30 giây rồi bị văng ra ngoài màn hình chính của điện thoại, khi vào ứng dụng lần nữa thì không có gem nào được thưởng cả. Vậy là sao, team lava lừa đảo à ?

      Delete
  5. I can't believe there haven't been fixes for this update yet!! Me and at least one other neighbor can only gift blue plastic when we select "gift back". I'm also having trouble accessing some restaurants from my news feed. It will show someone tipped me and I click "visit" and the button doesn't work. It was happening with one neighbor in particular, so I asked if she blocked me and she said no, but it's happening several times a day with non-neighbor restaurants too. So I can't visit or tip them back! It's all so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Visit button problem too! It's really annoying as there's no other way to visit a non-neighbour and return tips. :)

      Delete