Thursday 18 June 2015

Game update: 17/06/15

Yesterday was update day, and it brought a range of fresh content.

Notification for Summer solstice update

The Summer theme is very much continued, with all the additions being bright and cheerful. You can access everything from level 15. Here's the full list:

Tables:
  • Summer Moon - 4 gems
Chairs:
  • Solstice Stool - 6,200 coins
Wall decorations:
  • Solstice Sun - 7,600 coins
  • Flower Crowns - 15,500 coins
Floor decorations:
  • Fairy Circle - 22 gems
  • Midsummer Pool - 55 gems
  • Fairy Jars - 22,000 coins
  • Magic Divider - 35,000 coins
  • Chef's Station - 55 gems (LTO)
Appliances:
  • Solstice Stove - 50,000 coins

For a good look at all these goodies take a peek at this image from the Storm8 Blog:

Items from update as shown on Storm8 Blog

I have to be honest and admit that the mystical nature of some of this update doesn't really do much for me. Fairies are not my thing, and I'm not feeling the tickle of magic that some of the new stuff is supposed to radiate. However fortunately there are plenty of items which don't exude fantasy but instead focus on the Summer solstice which is on Sunday, so hopefully there is something for everyone.

Let's kick off the analysis with the new appliance, mainly because there was much nervous anticipation prior to release regarding its cost. After the Pub Stove's introduction for 5 gems each two weeks ago, we were waiting impatiently to find out if all non-goals ovens would follow suit from now on. That appears not to be the case, as the Solstice Stove comes for coins, albeit a quite expensive 50,000 coins a time. I still wouldn't be surprised to see more gem cookers in the future, but this coin buy is certainly a positive sign.

So what of the recipes? Well, Storm8 managed to make a goof just with the names!

Solstice Stove recipes

Originally the Petal Salad was called Flower Salad, but we of course already have a dish with that title on the Basic Stove. This is not the first time that the game's developers have made that mistake, although with nearly 500 recipes now having appeared in the game I guess it's not all that surprising!

To the ratings, and here is how the three foods get on:

Squash Pasta
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
3 7 2 10 9 5.0

Squash Blossom
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
4 6 3 10 9 5.3

Petal Salad
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
3 3 3 10 9 4.0

As has become customary, all three dishes fail to make an impression when it comes to maximising your profit, XP and portions. Nevertheless they're not the worst collection of recipes we've ever seen either. Indeed the Squash Blossom has a higher overall rating than any other 8 hour food added since the Rainbow Trout (Fish Stand) and Crab Dip (Riverboat Oven) were introduced in July 2014.

Since they lack any remarkable qualities I won't dwell on those recipes, and instead move on to the Midsummer Pool which is the major purchase in this update. It's a 4x4 floor decoration, and depicts a very rich and peaceful scene. The pool is obviously the main attraction, and is occupied by lots of pretty flora. The mossy greenery which winds its way around the edge of the pool help give it more of a natural feel. Then there's everything else surrounding it including a delicate tree, lots of rocks and a couple of fluttering butterflies. This is a truly beautiful decoration and if you're looking for something of this type it may even be worth the 55 gem asking price.

If you're feeling less gung-ho about splashing out then there's always the Fairy Circle. Coming in at 22 gems, this is a 3x3 sized piece and features a fairy kneeling down to look at some mushrooms. I'm not sure where the 'circle' is in this square item, but there you have it! Not being a fairy fan it's hardly surprising that I'm not enticed here, but there will I'm sure be some players who will purchase without hesitation. Especially those who have built up a collection of whimsical stuff from the Magic Bouquet box.

 Summer 2015
 13/06/15 Lemon goals
 13/06/15 Lemon update
 27/05/15 Fishing
 29/04/15 Hawaii

The Summer Moon table is the only other gem buy in this update (which is impressive!) It's a decent enough table with a tree trunk support, but is not worth the price tag. Meanwhile the Solstice Stool is nothing more than a tree stump, with some vines and a red mushroom included. At first I felt that the gamemakers have exhausted woodland type chairs, but on reflection its probably good to have lots of options. By mixing and matching you can really convey a rugged and wild atmosphere.

Back to the floor décor, and the Fairy Jars are placed on a patterned wooden table. The colouring of their contents is very good - there's a mysterious magical substance to them thanks to the translucent pink tone. The smattering of flowers on the table again introduces that slightly more wild feel.

From what I've read of player reactions its the Magic Divider which seems to be the most popular of the regular additions. It is the first case of a taller divider, and really helps separate areas in your diner properly. The lack of uniformity once more aids the rugged ambience. I can definitely see myself working this divider in for certain outdoor themes.

Last but not least are two wall decorations. The Solstice Sun is a little tired looking with its dull brown shade, but the Flower Crowns are anything but! There are four crowns included, each hanging by a hook. The colours are vibrant and eye catching, but again I can't seem myself housing flower crowns at my high end restaurant!

We finish with the limited time offer, which sees the Chef Station available out of box for five days.

Chef's Station limited time offer

Oh the agony! Let me firstly eulogise about this magnificent piece. A 4x4 monster, the Chef Station really has it all. So many different components all woven together really nicely to create what is the ultimate item for a kitchen section. I've had a kitchen in my place for almost as long as I've played the game, and have been waiting for the moment to get hold of a piece of this ilk for just as long. And I've got the gems to buy it.

So why the agony? Because I'm passing. It's with great sorrow that I have to let the station go, since I'm planning to spend big on some Summer redecorating in the coming days and weeks. I haven't got enough gems to cover both, and with the Kitchen Bundle having already done a fine job of filling my kitchen I'm going to have to turn my back on the item I've craved the most ever since it was originally released.

It's always difficult when you're faced with a tough choice regarding an LTO. That's why they're such a good feature for Storm8 to include as there will be lots of players who resolve their dilemma by buying extra gems to take away the need for a choice. It's not often I've actually been in this position myself - Black Friday is generally my main time for debating my options - but there is something fun about having to weigh up multiple choices and make only one. Hopefully this time I've made a good choice!

So a long post to celebrate the longest day! With some fairies and chefs thrown in as well it's made for an interesting update!

5 comments:

  1. I never thought I'd apply any art history knowledge in Restaurant Story, but here we go :P

    A Fairy Circle is the term applied to a naturally-occurring circle of mushrooms :) Paintings of fairies dancing in mushroom circles became popular in the Victorian Period. I think the Fairy Circle decoration in particular is an homage to the famous Midsummer Eve piece by Edward Robert Hughes (more probable as it's a 'Midsummer' update, apparently). It even has a young girl kneeling in a yellow dress! You can see the painting here for reference:

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yZxBQfg9fwk/VLU_MmYOFxI/AAAAAAAAB34/dPY5UBi20KU/s1600/midsummer-eve-edward-robert-hughes.jpg

    Hmmm, maybe someone at Storm8 is an art history fan? ;) In any case, I think this update would be a great complement to the Flower Fairy if any of your readers have her in their inventory :)

    Also, it's so nice to read your blog again! I haven't been able to for the past few weeks. Time to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting! Detailed insight into additions are always appreciated on here, so thank you very much! You are the blog's official art historian! :)

      Delete
  2. I bought the chef's station and even paid cash for some extra gems!! But my place is just too small for it. I tried it out and thought it didn't look right. It will have to stay in storage until I expand a few more times. I really shell out gems for big items (I can't resist) and can rarely make space for them. You think I would learn my lesson by now. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're going to buy a big item then they don't come any better than the Chef's Station. I'm sure in time when you've got enough space you'll be really happy that you bought it. :)

      Delete
    2. I can sympathize with you haha I will never learn either.

      Delete