Wednesday 29 April 2015

Game update: 29/04/15

Hawaii here we come baby!

This week's update sees a trip to America's smallest state, where we're going to be partying down on those luscious beaches! Everything is available from level 17, with the comprehensive list as follows:

Tables:
  • Blossom Table - 2 gems (LTO)
Chairs:
  • Blossom Chair - 2 gems (LTO)
Wall decorations:
  • Tiki Mask - 5 gems
Floor decorations:
  • Fire Dancers - 20 gems
  • Hammock - 30 gems
  • Luau Dog - 10 gems
  • Island Drummer - 26,500 coins
  • Tropical Torch - 18,000 coins
  • Spring Picnic - 20 gems (LTO)
  • Blossom Grove - 40 gems (LTO)
Wallpapers:
  • Beach Bungalows - 10,000 coins
Floor tiles:
  • Black Sand - 5,000 coins
Appliances:
  • Fruit Bar - 30 gems (LTO)
Counters:
  • Blossom Counter - 3 gems (LTO)
Boxes:
  • Blossom Bundle - 75 gems

It appears that Android players do not yet have the Hawaiian items, so it looks like yet another new edition is on the way for you lot!

Update: 'Restaurant Story: Tropic Bliss' is now available via Google Play!

And just like last week there are four new recipes to get busy with. We'll study them in detail later on.

So, what is going on here?! The blossom themed stuff was from the Spring 2014 goals and is available on sale in the market for a limited time to all players - not just those who completed the goals at the time.

That is perhaps understandable - this is Storm8's cranky way of offering old goal prizes to newer players who never had the opportunity to get hold of them before. The fact they're up for gems and only for a few days is obviously a bummer for such users, but at least these coveted items are now accessible to them, even if it's only for a short while.

But now I'm really going to spit some tacks. The blossom goals content removal was only announced 12 days ago with the deed being done last week. The time between the removal and re-release is embarrassing. Seriously embarrassing. Am I supposed to get excited about this batch of limited time offers?! The Blossom Grove was the final prize in the Spring 2014 goals, and could be purchased (for those who had unlocked it) for 65,000 coins. Now it has a 40 gem price tag. I could go on but will save some nails. Essentially, every blossom themed piece you see here was a coin buy only a fortnight ago but now has a gem premium attached.

Just to compound the situation, I believe that the Blossom Counter was never included in that removal. It certainly was never listed as limited time, although admittedly I didn't check post-removal to see if it was still in the market. But if it was then that means that earlier this evening it went from costing 7,800 coins to 3 gems. Crazy!

Blossom Bundle

The short period from removal to re-release really irks me because of the message it conveys. A lot of what the game's developers do (indeed probably most of it!) is done with producing revenue in mind. That makes complete sense - never forget that this is a freemium game and to make it worthwhile the gamemakers need to encourage players to spend real money on in-app purchases. Generally they do a decent job of executing this subtly and in a way that can sometimes be of benefit to players. But this re-release is in complete contrast to that.

I doubt there will be too many players who fall for this ransacking. We've always liked to think of content removals as being a clean up and an opportunity to bring some order to the market, but this one was clearly done with only moneymaking in mind. Maybe they all are, but at least it's usually less in your face than this escapade.

Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong angle. After all I've had free reign of the blossom items for the last 12 months and seeing such beautiful decorations being paraded around for serious gem prices is agitating. For those who have never had a chance to buy these pieces it is an opportunity, albeit an expensive one.

It's worth noting that there is a cheaper alternative for iOS players if you do want all these items - the Blossom Bundle is not currently listed as an LTO so looks like it will hang around for a while.

Notification for Blossom Bundle

I think removing goal content and then bringing it all back in a bundle is actually a good idea, but Storm8 need to be leaving a lengthy grace period before they do so otherwise it feels like a slap in the face!

Now that I've emptied my exasperation, let's get to the real content of this update, that being the Hawaiian stuff. For a good look at everything in the update take a look at this image from the Storm8 Blog:

Items from update as shown on Storm8 Blog

Beware that a lot of the decorations shown above are existing items that aren't actually new. But the plethora of content on show there does emphasise the variety we now have in the beach theme department. There is enough stuff to get really creative.

Unfortunately, like last week, I feel that the pricing is the sticking point with this update. The three major floor decorations are all for gems, as is the new wall decoration. Once again I'm feeling a little let down after seeing the teaser and getting all excited!

Looking beyond the costs, everything is really nice. The Fire Dancers is a real beauty, with three Hula dancers dicing with danger. The attention to detail is astounding - two of the girls are smiling away as they do their stuff, but the third is very much feeling the heat. Her hair has caught fire! What a fantastic piece of design!

Then there's the Hammock. It is an item with so much potential, but I'm not all that impressed. It's the scaling that's annoying me - I'm pretty sure this was constructed to be a 3x3 or even 4x4 sized decoration, but instead has been limited to 2x2. That means that the palm trees are far too small and the hammock between them is not an adequate size for our bots. It's a shame because I've always wanted the Tropical Hammock which was a limited time offer nearly three years ago, and this one could have fulfilled my wishes, but falls short.

The remaining three floor decorations are all for coins and all 1x1. The Luau Dog, Island Drummer and Tropical Torch are all really cool pieces which I'll definitely be including when I put out my beach theme in the deep of the Summer. The torch in particular looks superb - an angry face is carved into the wood and it's wearing some shell jewellery!

The Tiki Mask is somewhat similar to the Tropical Torch, although this time the face looks strained. Perhaps this guy didn't want to be relegated to the wall?! I think it looks good though and can definitely help top off a tiki beach.

Since the Beach Bungalows is an outdoor wallpaper you can't really use the Tiki Mask on it, but that doesn't mean this isn't a winning wallpaper. It depicts a row of wooden buildings with thatched roofs that I think we'd all like to spend our days lazing around in! Definitely a well put together wallpaper.

As far as flooring goes, the Black Sand is an excellent choice by the game's developers. No, it's not as attractive as golden sand, but we've already got tiles which cover that base, so it's good that we haven't just received a duplicate. Players can even now choose what type of beach to model!

With no table, chair or counter in the Hawaiian mould that makes it four of the last five updates in which some of the key categories have been lacking. It's no biggie this week though because the likes of the Hawaiian Table, Coconut Chair Shell Table and Chair can do the business.

This is definitely a quality collection of stuff, even if it is somewhat expensive. I'm planning to haul out my riverboat for a lush scene in May and June with the beach taking over in July and August, so won't be investing in this new content yet. But once the time comes I'll definitely be looking to purchase some of them to complement the decorations I've accumulated previously.

What I'm won't be hanging about with are the four new recipes and the eight mastery gems they provide.

New recipes

The Ahi Poke and Laulau are located on the Basic Stove, the Taro Bread is found on the Basic Oven, and the Treat Punch is a rare addition to the Drink Machine. All four look interesting although I'm not too sure about the purple colour of the Taro Bread!

Here are the all-important recipe ratings:

Ahi Poke
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
3 10 4 3 9 5.6

Laulau
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
2 2 4 4 9 3.0

Taro Bread
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
2 5 3 4 9 3.7

Treat Punch
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
4 10 5 3 9 6.2

Lots of hot Hawaiian colours there, but of course that's not a good thing when it comes the the ratings. The Ahi Poke and Treat Punch both score quite well overall, mainly thanks to their perfect tens for XP. Both yield 60 XP which is yet again a constant across all the new dishes. As you'd expect that has an adverse effect on the two longer offerings, which has in turn dented their overall ratings.

And another constant for these recipes is the 2 coins per plate. When last week's foursome of additions provided 4 coins per plate I though we had maybe turned a corner, but alas that is not the case. For now at least it looks like we're getting a mixture of each, which wouldn't be all that bad if the gamemakers were willing to release dishes giving 6 coins per plate too in order to balance things out.

So after getting over my serious disapproval of the blossom content re-blossoming there's actually plenty to shout about. The recipes aren't all that strong ratings-wise but do mean another top up of gems, and the Hawaiian decorations are fantastic. I just wish I could be in Hawaii for real now!

14 comments:

  1. The re-release was a total mess! Seriously TL does re-releases way too much IMO and it is kinda discouraging doing the goals when you know the stuff will be available to all anyway! I think the Storm8 forums may have had some influence but still! OK it is a good new update though. And yep the Blossom Counter was listed for removal :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fairness we don't know if this is something that is going to become a regular feature, so it could be that completing the goals will remain the only way to get hold of the prizes and that they won't be re-released at a later date. And anyway if it takes a whole year for goal content to get released openly on the market to all then it's obviously worthwhile to unlock the stuff when the goals are live.

      The outcry with regards to this re-release might just discourage Storm8 form repeating the procedure again, but who knows! :)

      Delete
  2. I get the feeling this may be unpopular opinion, but I actually like what S8 did with the removal/re-release of the April 2014 Spring Goal items. Could it have been done better? Sure. But for a first-time trial of removing the items first (giving players from back then the opportunity to buy all they wanted for coins), then re-releasing it to the general public for gems, I think the idea was generally for the players' benefit. I don't support the pricing of the Fruit Bar for 30 gems, though, especially considering all other appliance re-releases have been for coins.

    I pretty much wrote a manifesto about this; if you want to read my full take, it's here: http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?80785-Re-release-of-Puebla-Oven-and-Drink-Machine&p=1102227#post1102227. I'll probably make a similar post on my blog just in case.

    I'm honestly more tickled about the fact that this is the fourth time in the past two months that Android is apparently receiving a new version! It's barely been two weeks since Earth Day plopped up in the Play Store, and now I'll have to download another version of RS for these Hawaiian items. I hope all is well at S8 and the game isn't accidentally broken for Android. In times like these I'm very glad my Droid supports the Kindle version of RS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is quite the post over on the Storm8 Forum Whipped Cream! I think your arguments are well developed and make lots of sense.

      I honestly don't mind the process either, but it's the way it's been done that frustrates me. Say they had removed the goal content the week after the goals had expired back in Spring 2014. Then I'd be absolutely fine with this re-release - it comes a long time after the removal so the fact that it's gem heavy doesn't feel as prominent. Instead the focus would be more on the fact that players who didn't unlock the stuff first time around are now getting an opportunity. As it is I can't see past the money-grabbing element to their actions.

      I completely agree with your thoughts on the 30 gem appliance, and almost included something in the post regarding it. The function of appliances is to provide a source of income, both of coins (through cooking) and gems (through mastery). But pricing it like so means that you can't turnover a profit on the gem front, so why bother buying it?

      I didn't realise Android hasn't got the Hawaiian content yet! Usually from reading between the lines on the Forum I can deduce whether you Androiders have to play a waiting game, but I must have been too busy getting caught up with the re-release hysteria! The number of new Android apps is getting ridiculous, but just think of those gem rewards! :)

      Delete
  3. why dont they ever release a new menu item for the grill appliance????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question!

      The Basic Grill does seem to be getting overlooked these days. It's always had fewer recipes than the Basic Stove and Basic Oven, but is now beginning to look a little forlorn.

      I might just expand further on this in the next Suggestions Box! :)

      Delete
  4. I don't really mind having to download a new version of the game, I'm just wondering why I still haven't received any of the Hawaiian update yet.. Seeing as how "Stormie's Store" already updated her shop and my other neighbors' as well, makes me really frustrated.. Is it just me or are other android users are having the same issue? Btw, I find your site the most reliable resource for this game, really, really great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zia!

      I think there must be another new version on the way for Android with this content included in it. I'll update the post to make this known! :)

      Delete
  5. Are there really people who would be angry if their newbie neighbors are able to purchase for coins items which they unlocked a year ago through completing goals? Such people exist? Is Whipped Cream an adult? Is this High School?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! No need for the rhetorical questions there!

      Some players feel that part of what makes the goals so special is the exclusivity of the prizes. And remember that to get hold of goal content for coins we had to work through the goals, so it wasn't entirely straightforward to purchase said items. The gem cost upon re-release is designed to balance the fact that everything is now readily available to buy in the market.

      If you read the reply I gave to Whipped Cream you'll find that I so happen to agree with her opinions. It's the timing of the re-release that was irked me.

      Kakasparks, you've been posting comments (and good ones at that) on the blog for a long time, but I won't hesitate to remove any offensive material in the future if necessary, so watch your tongue! :)

      Delete
  6. I agree! Goal prizes are really special and one would really have to work through the tasks to get it, so it's only fair not to make it so easily affordable to those who didn't.. However as a new player (I only started playing March of this year), I wish we would be given the chance to work through the old goals that we missed and get a chance to get hold of the old goal prizes.. (some are really really nice, and to see them "locked" makes me a little sad T_T) and I can't spend real money on the game so working through goals is the only way I get those pretty goal prizes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the suggestion of re-releasing entire goal sets before, and think it's plausible.

      There could be a fee of some sort to unlock an old goal set, and then it would run exactly as it did when first on the go. There are definitely a lot of players out there like you who would be keen to get such an opportunity.

      I might just 'borrow' this idea for the Suggestions Box! :)

      Delete
  7. I think the goals are fun and I complete them for fun and to unlock new items, but I could care less if my neighbors purchase the content at a premium. I was not around for these goals last year, so I was happy to have a chance to buy some of the items. I personally think the bundle is a rip off though and I didn't come back to the game in time to purchase the Spring Picnic. Someone, please call the Wahhmbulance, I really wanted it! I'll just have to keep admiring the one in your restaurant. LOL

    I do REALLY wish there was a way I could complete goals that existed before I downloaded the game. I would LOVE to access some of the old content, especially the Asian themed items. And I think I would even pay real $$ or a coin premium to do so. There's a way to make money S8!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you and Zia above have both thrown the goal re-release idea into the ring it's definitely going in this weekend's Suggestions Box! It's a concept that's got legs and would definitely be a money-spinner for Storm8! :)

      Delete