Wednesday 14 October 2015

Game update: 14/10/15

The witches are brewing something up! Halloween goals have landed in Restaurant Story!

Introduction to Halloween 2015 goals

Any concerns that the October goal set wouldn't be Halloween based have very much been placed on the back burner. Let's get straight to the new content which can all be accessed (including the goals) at level 12:

Tables:
  • Crescent Moon - 13,000 coins
Chairs:
  • Witch's Throne - locked by goal
Wall decorations:
  • Spooky Brooms - 11,700 coins
Floor decorations:
  • Witch's Cat - 26 gems
  • Witch's Hats - 8,200 coins
  • Potion Vials - 11,600 coins
  • Witch's Kitchen - locked by goal
Wallpapers:
  • Witch's Stripes - 8,600 coins
Floor tiles:
  • Moons and Stars - 4,300 coins
Appliances:
  • Witchy Stove - locked by goal
  • Witch's Brew - locked by goal
Counters:
  • Witchy Counter - locked by goal

For all the details on the goals, see my dedicated post here.

There are a couple of notabilities here. First up, there's only one of the goal prizes is a floor decoration. Over the last year it really has been all about unlocking floor décor with three items typically padlocked in each quest. Seeing a chair and a counter being locked out brings me back to the good old days! It's nice that Storm8 have shaken up this particular aspect of the goals.

The second significant nugget we can glean from the item list is much less exhilarating. I'm referring here to the Witch's Cat which comes at 26 gems. Standalone there's not much to get worked up about, except perhaps for the fact that it is overpriced for a unimposing 2x2 piece. But put it into the context of a goals week. Seldom have we had a gem item added with goals. Will we need to purchase this cat in order to complete the goals? Such a scenario did present itself in Bakery Story a few months ago, so it is possible.

If it is the case that buying the Witch's Cat is necessary to reach the end of the goals, then there is going to be outrage on a scale beyond anything seen before in the game. I witnessed the fury in Bakery, and I can tell you it wasn't pretty! It really calls into question the premise of the game being a freemium product where it's possible to play freely without investing real money. We'll see how it turns out I guess, and I'll be posting my thoughts either way in the goals content report!

In the meantime, let's have a good look at the teaser which was posted on the Storm8 Blog yesterday, which includes all of the new stuff:

Items from update as shown on Storm8 Blog

It seems pretty clear that the Witch's Kitchen is the final goal prize. At first I wasn't sure I was actually that keen. There's a lot of bright colours in there which make it less eerie than I hope for with Halloween content. But looking closer I'm really impressed by the level of detail. The three witches are all busying themselves with preparing food and feeding the cat, and the angry jack-o'-lanterns ensure there is no doubting what season this item was designed for.

Anyway, let me now focus on the content which doesn't need to be unlocked, starting with the Spooky Brooms. The concept here is quite simple, with a broom being attached to the wall via a bracket. Once again though, the simplicity of it wins through! I really like it, and the purple brush gives the Halloween touch. I can actually envisage having one of these hung up in my kitchen section all year round.

Next up is the Crescent Moon table. To be honest I'm not so thrilled by this addition, mostly because it's a bit plain, but also because I think of a full moon at Halloween! And as goal update items go, it is quite expensive too at 13,000 coins. That can be said throughout this update - I suppose the gamemakers are confident that the attraction of Halloween will outweigh the higher prices when players have to decide whether or not to buy.

Like the table, the Witch Stripes wallpaper doesn't do it for me. Consisting of vertical stripes of black, orange and pink, it just doesn't convey any sense of fear which it really should do. There's a world of possible wallpaper designs Storm8 could have come up with that would do justice to the Halloween vibe, so it's all the more irritating that we've ended up with a generic pattern like this one. I mean come on, how difficult would it be to have a dreary sky scene with tiny witches riding their broomsticks?

 Halloween 2015
 07/10/15 Laboratory update

At least I'm a little more enthusiastic about the Moon and Stars floor tile. Technically speaking it also fails to get across the spooky side of Halloween, but there is a magical element to it which fits nicely with the occasion. Mind you I'm not sure how I would utilise it in my restaurant, but it certainly feels like a flooring which could come in handy one day.

Excluding the goal items, we're now left with the floor decorations. I've already mentioned the Witch's Cat, which features a black cat supposedly studying fortune telling by candlelight. It's a cute concept, but isn't adorable enough to merit the 26 gem price tag.

Fortunately the Witch's Hats is much more affordable at 8,200 coins and is the latest hat stand entry to the game. I think it's an excellent idea, and if like me you have a hat stand in place all year round, it makes for a great way to subtly adapt your diner for Halloween.

Lastly we have the Potion Vials. This is 2x2 in size and looks the part. It seems to be a gross buffet of sorts, with a number of slimy concoctions lined up for tasting. The purple tablecloth ties in with the general tones of the rest of the update, and the inclusion of the pumpkins and broom in front of the table is a fine touch. I'll definitely look to find a spot for this decoration.

Overall then it's a quality update, and a relieving update too. After last week's underwhelming introduction to Halloween 2015, there was understandably a lot of concern over what this week would bring. After all back-to-back updates with the same theme are a thing of yesteryear, but the game's developers have obviously seen fit to return to the glory days in celebration of one of the most enjoyed events of the Restaurant Story year.

It remains a mystery as to whether or not there will be further Halloween updates in the next couple of weeks, and likewise whether there will be a sale of old content like we had for Autumn. I'm worryingly hopeful that there is more to come!

8 comments:

  1. I dig the wallpaper but I've already had one neighbor tell me they liked my old Halloween decorations better and that this one is nice but "too bright" ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked in at your place and I think it looks fine! I particularly like how you've got the characters in their fancy dress all lined up!

      Having given it a few days I'm actually fonder of the wallpaper now. It's still not as spooky as I'd like for Halloween, but it's got a zaniness about it which does fit. Plus it could be used for layouts outside of the Halloween season. :)

      Delete
  2. My restaurant story keeps 'stopped working'.... i cannot play. Why is it doing this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of these items are really nice and although I didn't like the witch's kitchen at first, it has grown on me :-) I don't know why, but I think overall it's just too much purple and not enough spooky. Moan moan grumble grumble... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may be a stupid question, but is there any way to see if you have cooked a recipe enough to earn all the goals, so I can change to a new dish. This is the first restaurant story I have played.... Would like some new goals though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good question, and unfortunately the simple answer is no.

      The only way to really tell for sure if you've completed the mastery of a recipe is to observe if you've been given the mastery gem. That's obviously easier said than done!

      I've discussed this matter before and concluded that Storm8 really should do something to change the appearance of the mastery meter once you've mastered a recipe. :)

      Delete
    2. Thax for the response....l agree, l have a goal to try to make all the recipes, but I.just thought of it so I haven't been keeping track of the ones I've already done. Again thnx for answering ;-)

      Delete