Saturday 9 April 2016

Appalling app updates investigated

App updates for iOS don't come around all that often, and recently I've fallen out of the routine of making dedicated posts for them. As a result the most recent app updates have not really had the comprehensive analysis on here that I usually strive to provide, so after some encouragement from long time reader and commenter DonY, I've put together this summary of all that's gone down in recent months, and it affects Android players as well as iOS users.

The tale really starts way back in June 2015, when we got the update to version 1.7.6. This became a classic app update, but for all the wrong reasons. The download description claimed that the new edition would bring with it 'bug fixes' and 'performance improvements', except that it did the exact opposite.

App update to version 1.7.6 on iTunes App Store

There was a plethora of problems, chief among which was the bug which caused the 'gift back' button within the news tab of the Messages window to force your choice of gift. The only way around this was to gift via the Social window or directly from a neighbour's restaurant. For those like me who tend to gift players the same parts they send requests for this soon became a tiring process, and there were numerous occasions when by the time I'd navigated around the menus I'd forgotten either what I was going to gift for who it was for.

And iOS players had to deal with this glitch for the rest of 2015. There was one further app update to version 1.7.7 which promised the same 'bug fixes' and 'performance improvements', but it certainly didn't fix this big issue.

App update to version 1.7.7 on iTunes App Store

Instead we were left to struggle on, and although I personally did adapt, it was still infuriating.

It wasn't until February that Storm8 finally came up with a solution. Ironically the description for edition 1.7.8 didn't even make reference to any squished bugs, and yet it provided a fix to the gifting headache. The problem was, closing this can of worms simply opened another, larger one.

Upon downloading 1.7.8 many users found themselves face to face with the ultimate nightmare - their pristine diners which so much time (and sometimes real money) had been invested in was gone, with a level 1 starter game in its place. I was among those unfortunate enough to experience this on my iPad, but was lucky enough to still be able to access my main account via my iPhone which was unaffected.

And the glitch wasn't limited to iOS users. Many Androiders reported losing their game too, leaving the gamemakers with much fury to contend. The situation had arisen out of the removal of the account transfer feature, which was soon set to be replaced by the ability to 'save game progress with Facebook and Game Center'.

App update to version 1.7.8 on iTunes App Store

This ditching was itself perplexing since the account transfer function has been one of the more successful additions down the years. Not only has it allowed players to switch their game between different compatible devices, but it has also allowed players to start a completely new game which can then be dabbled in on the device of choice at their leisure. This is something I jumped at the opportunity to do, and with 10 free gem videos per day have built up over 1,000 gems in a secondary account, even if I've never actually bothered to do anything with them!

And so from the account transfer feature we move to the notion of using Facebook and the Game Center to save your game's progress. There have been incentivised opportunities for connecting with Facebook in other Storm8 titles, including Restaurant Story 2, and yet this element has yet to feature in Restaurant Story. Meanwhile the Game Center side of things didn't appear to kick in until the next app update, which we'll get to shortly. So why pull the account transfer when the alternatives weren't yet ready? There's no reasonable answer to that question, so it can be added to the growing mound of cases where the game's developers have displayed pure incompetence.

 Version 1.7.8
 20/02/16 Commentary in Suggestions Box

Anyway, what made this shambolic app update all the more irksome was the lack of response from Storm8 themselves. There were numerous threads and comments flooding in on the Storm8 Forum, and although the moderators didn't do a great job in handling the situation (in my view) it was the responsibility of someone involved in the making of the game itself to provide some insight either directly or through a third party as to what was going on.

Usually I smile and move on with life when witnessing the heated way players react when things go wrong and they call for heads to roll, but in this case the mishandling of the situation was truly appalling. We were in a scenario here where accounts were apparently lost without any prior notice, many of which had significant real money invested in them. The lack of communication as to what was going on was shocking, and it even extended to Storm8's support service, which hasn't responded to a lot of people's emails. I know that I personally am still waiting for a response to a report submitted on February 10th. I suspect I won't be seeing one any time soon!

So with many players locked out of their game, the gamemakers went on as normal. Given how long it took to deal with the gifting glitch I was deeply concerned that this supposed serenity would last for a long while. But Storm8 proved me wrong by releasing version 1.7.9 in mid-March.

App update to version 1.7.9 on iTunes App Store

This was another 'bug fixes' and 'performance improvements' job, and it provided solace for me.

Upon opening it for the first time I was met with a notification window informing that my progress had been synced with the Game Center.

Notification for successful syncing with Game Center

I won't profess to being much of an expert on the Game Center, but I have got an account on there which I reckon already automatically included Restaurant Story since it is a compatible game. It appears that it was this app update which was the one to actually include the enhanced Game Center link-up, and it meant my main level 99 account was back on my iPad.

But there are still unknowns to be pondered. First of all, what about Android users? This loss of game bug somehow affected Androiders too, so without a Game Center on that platform how are they able to sync to the mysterious cloud? Do they have to wait for the Facebook connection to be established? (and even then it's not everyone who has a Facebook account or wishes to involve their gaming with it).

And more pertinently, not everyone has had the outpouring of relief that I have. There's been little to no comment on the Storm8 Forum from players getting their accounts back, which suggests I may be an isolated case. I can only suggest that anyone who hasn't tried downloading 1.7.9 give it a go. It worked for me and I surely can't be alone. Otherwise it looks like waiting it out is the only choice. Hopefully when the Facebook link-up is introduced there may be a resolution, but perhaps that's just unhealthy optimism.

So it's clearly been a rocky few weeks and months when it comes to app updates in our favourite game. I'm often slow to spot new versions in the App Store, and therefore have been a little lazy when it comes to making posts about these updates, with my commentary typically being lumped in with the next weekly update. I'll try and get back to doing dedicated posts, especially given the sticky situations so many unfortunate players are finding themselves in at the moment. Now we just need to wait for the next one!

3 comments:

  1. Omg. Well, its said I wasn't synced to the Game Center one day when I logged in. Then when I clicked off of that notification there was a BRAND NEW GAME THERE. It then synced though, which got me excited... But no. It's still my Jammin' Java. *sigh*

    I haven't been on my iPad in a while though so maybe it's there?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to be worth trying!

      I'm sorry I can't be of more help but sadly I'm just as much in the dark as you are. It's been a really shocking period when it comes to app updates, right from that one last June. It's as if they don't fully test them or put adequate effort into them! :)

      Delete
    2. It has stopped me from playing all the "new" games too... My RS is the only one I play now. Except for gems (duh) ;-)

      Delete