Saturday 28 May 2016

My box wishlist

Since mid February we've been getting a box on sale at 50% off every two weeks with the regular update. I've said it on several occasions, but this is a really generous gesture by Storm8. Until this current run the only previous period of crate discounts was from Autumn 2014 when the deal was 25% off, so the gamemakers have to be given huge credit.

With these sales now appearing to be a permanent fixture, I thought I'd make a little wishlist of the five boxes I'd most like to see given a temporary price cut. I'm not going to consider those crates which have featured in a previous sale, but that doesn't make the task of picking much easier - by my reckoning there are 65 boxes have made an appearance in the game, which amounts to something in the ballpark of 600 decorations!

So, after much pondering, here's my top five in reverse order...


 #5: Carnival Box


The first entry is the oldest crate in my list. The Carnival Box was released in July 2013 and has always been a favourite of mine. I did a beach scene in the outdoor section of my restaurant last Summer and attempted to cook up a carnival of sorts. The Ferris Wheel and Game Booth were the two main constituents, and otherwise it was a struggle to truly capture the buoyant atmosphere of the carnival.

Items from Carnival Box as shown on Storm8 Forum

This crate opens up the possibility of putting together a really attractive carnival. The Cotton Candy Machine (top middle above) is probably the weakest prize, but even it is not what I'd consider a complete dud. And some of the leading items are fantastic. The Skill Shot Derby (right middle) is 3x3 in size and is superb with its penguin and bunny rewards hanging from the roof, and the Sledge Striker (bottom middle) is a classic fairground piece.

But it's the first prize Super Shot (left middle) which is the most enticing. It's a colossal 4x4 decoration and does a great job of depicting some screaming kids at the top of the ride. It was actually available as a limited time offer for 55 gems last year, but I declined - a decision I regret!

Overall I love the range of colour this box exhibits. Sometimes Storm8 go overboard with their palette, but in this case it's absolutely appropriate for a carnival theme. The fact I'm not afraid of clowns probably helps too!


 #4: Cowboy Crate


This next selection is the one box in this countdown that I have actually opened before. it may have been added nearly 12 months ago, but it was only a few weeks back that I rolled the dice on the Cowboy Crate in a bid to enhance a stop on the Mad Chemist and Lab Assistant's tour of time, and procured a pair of fourth prizes.

It was the Cowboy Greeter and Saddle Up that I received, and it's fair to say I was a little underwhelmed. So why would I choose this crate among my top picks? Well, the diminutive nature of those two prizes are hugely outweighed by the brilliance of some of the other décor up for grabs.

Items from Cowboy Crate as shown on Storm8 Blog

From the Cowboy Campfire and Horse Riding to the Hitching Post and Western Wagon, this is a box full of quality. I really enjoyed doing the Wild West design recently, and would definitely consider something similar again. This crate could really take it to the next level, not least because of the mix of indoor and outdoor content. It's not often we see this in a box, and it means there's scope to have a complete Western theme with both the interior and exterior of a classic saloon.

Even the walls included on the Cowboy Poker first prize don't put me off. Usually I'm against walls and floors being included on decorations, but in this case the designs are well chosen and can be blended with wallpapers and floor tiles available to purchase in the market.


 #3: Fall Harvest Crate


I've made it known on many occasions in the lifetime of this blog that Autumn is the season I feel the gamemakers do the best job of producing content for. Therefore it was only natural that I'd look to include an Autumn based box in my wishlist. The Fall Harvest Crate which entered the fray last September gets the nod, with the focus on the market theme really winning my heart.

Items from Fall Harvest Crate as shown on Storm8 Blog

I really enjoyed doing a market set-up for the Middle Ages stop in the Chemist and Cat's adventure, but could do with some more items specific to a lively market. The likes of the Farmers Market Stand and Apple Vendor are substantial floor decorations of this mould already available to buy, but they are expensive, and make the prospect of this crate at 12 gems very appealing.

The top prize Harvest Stand is obviously the biggest draw with all those vibrant colours of fruit and veg as well as the seller off to the side adorably clutching carrots. The other prizes are cool as well though, and share the same bright style and intricate details. The Jam Stand is so precise with all those glass jars and both the Fall Wagon and Veggie Stand are packed with fresh foods.

Even the fourth prizes are worth having, and at 50% off I'd consider them reasonably priced. All in all it's a great box and easily merits a spot in this countdown.


 #2: Gardeners Chest


Before the Chemist and Cat's story entered my mind I had planned to go wild with a gardening theme for Spring. One of the most rich sources of new stuff for such a theme is the Gardeners Chest, and it reaches number two in the charts. Originally released around a year ago, this box is just full of impressive decorations.

Items from Gardeners Chest as shown on  Storm8 Forum

As is the case with all these crates the first prize is outstanding. The Spring Garden is a truly gorgeous piece with so much freshness packed into a 4x4 space. But there's also a big thumbs up to the Glass Garden and Gardener's Shed, which both pack a punch. The latter is especially tantalising with the potting shed such a charming structure thanks to the yellow walls and red roof.

Overall this box would undoubtedly be worth the risk at 12 gems a go. The Floral Chair is the only catch that would really disappoint me, and with a nice range of gardening based stuff already in the market, a dip or two in this crate would top off a theme which has got excellent potential.


 #1: Chic Crate


It so happens that the box I'd most like to see discounted is the one which was added just this week! The Chic Crate brings back memories of the Classic Kitchen which, upon release, caused all kinds of excitement around the community. I'm actually surprised to find little buzz among the players for this box, with only a few of the prize positions confirmed by folks who have opened the crate.

Items from Chic Crate as shown on Storm8 Blog

The kitchen has always been a mainstay of my diner, and although parting with a bucketload of gems for the Classic Bundle when it was offered last year means I already have a plethora of content for keeping the cooks happy, I'm still really keen on this crate. I hadn't considered the possibility of updating my kitchen with a new look before, but upon seeing the Chic Crate I now wonder if it may be worth switching things up.

The Chic Chef's Station is the leading prize and I reckon is one of the greats. You've got three chefs keeping busy around a huge unit which houses a sink, a chopping board, a glass case containing some delicacy, a stove including a deep pot of grub, and a queer instrument in the centre. This item alone is glorious, and the prospect of netting it for 12 gems is wondrous.

But I have to be realistic and accept that getting the first prize is unlikely. Yet I need not worry - the rest of the stuff is straight out of the top drawer too, with the Chic Stove and Chic Café both hitting all the right notes. Even the 1x1 host and his stand are fancy - there's not a great selection of host stands available to buy, and this one screams of a luxurious high end dining experience.



So there you have it - the new and shiny Chic Crate is the box I'd most like to see given the 50% off treatment. And given that the Sock Hop Crate got put on sale weeks after its release, I'm hopeful that we may not have to wait too long to see the Chic Crate experience a temporary price drop.

It was tough to select just five boxes, with plenty of others which could quite easily have made the list. There are some such as the 50's Diner Box and Winter Wonderland which I'd probably rank as among the best crates in the game, but having already opened them in the past they don't pull me in quite as much any more.

One final point - it's interesting to note that none of the five boxes which made my wishlist are among the 'originals'. Indeed only the Carnival Box was not released within the last 12 months. This may be an indication that the quality of décor and the selections made available in the crates has improved significantly over the years.

So what do you make of my list? Do you have a favourite box you're incredulous I didn't include?! Do tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment