Wednesday 21 December 2016

Game update: 21/12/16

It's the final update before Christmas, and Storm8 are delivering their gifts via a box.

Notification for Frosty Crate

The Frosty Crate is the only addition this week, but contains eight floor decorations not obtainable anywhere else. For 24 gems you get a dip in this chest and will pick up one of these items.

Receiving a box in this update comes as no surprise. For a start we hadn't had one since the Harvest Crate debuted five weeks ago, and with a festive crate being something of an annual tradition, this box was entirely expected.

Of course all of the past Christmas crates are still on the market as part of the big seasonal sale, and that leads me to ponder something which I discussed briefly in my Black Friday analysis post. Why would players wish to open this new box when the equivalent versions from previous years are half the price? Obviously a factor here is the standard of the decor. If the Frosty Crate contained far superior content then that would be an automatic answer to this question, but otherwise it's difficult to see how it is going to be a profitable addition for the gamemakers.

So what do we make of the prizes? The Storm8 Blog provided the usual Tuesday teaser yesterday, so let's cast an eye over it:

Items from update as shown on Storm8 Blog
My first thought here was of the size of the prizes. Back in October I voiced concerns regarding the generally shrinking size of box items, but there's no sign of that here. There's plenty of variety when it comes to the dimensions, and that makes it all the easier to rank the prizes. Here's my take on the distribution list:

First Prize
  • Frosty Family
Second Prize
  • Frozen Fountain
  • 'Frosty Globe'
Third Prize
  • Snowman Sofa
  • 'Snowflake Globe'
Fourth Prize
  • Snowman Fridge
  • 'Treats Cart'
  • 'Snowman Lamp'

It's not often I say this, but I'm fairly confident with this breakdown, although if you can certify any of the details I'm all ears. As ever there remain question marks surrounding the names of most of the stuff, so do please enlighten us all via the comments if you have opened the box.

It's worth pointing out that the teaser suggests that there is a 'Frozen Fountain appliance' - I assume this is a typo referring to the icy fountain on the right of the above image which is surely a standard decoration - I'm just calling it the Frosty Fountain. And it's a striking item, with the blue colours and pointed shapes used really conveying a biting chilliness.

Meanwhile the 4x4 sized Frosty Family is a worthy first prize, with a cute family of three snowmen enjoying a light snow shower. It's worth noting the similarity of the snow coated pine trees at the rear with those released in the winter themed update three weeks back - this is a nice tie-in and could allow you to fit the Frosty Family into your diner seamlessly.

 Christmas 2016
 14/12/16 Goals
 14/12/16 Goals update
 06/12/16 Elves workshop update
 30/11/16 Winter update

The two snowglobe pieces are a rare case of the eternal sparkles effect being used appropriately. The second prize 'Frosty Globe' is the more striking thanks to the red and gold patterns around the base and the picturesque scene enclosed in the glass. The 'Snowflake Globe' is a little underwhelming by comparison, with just a single large flake in the globe.

Most of what's left is a little tacky in my opinion. The Snowman Sofa and 'Snowman Lamp' are particularly difficult to look at with those beady eyes, although I suspect some players will view them as cute decorations. The Snowman Fridge shares the same characteristic snowman face, but is at least something a little different. Fridges are hard to come by in the game, and this would make a really cool festive inclusion in any restaurants with a kitchen area.

That just leaves the 'Treats Cart' which is not worth anywhere near 24 gems, but does make for a nice little 'plugger' of any gaps in your place. I like how it's packed with treats and comes with a big yellow bow on the side.

Now we move on to this week's limited time offer which sees an existing item from the market reduced in price for five days.

Notification for Disco Ball Fountain limited time offer

The Disco Ball Fountain normally weighs in at a hefty 65 gems, but is currently enjoying a 20% discount so is available for 52 gems. I'm not a fan of most of the themed fountains in Restaurant Story, and this edition is included in that. I don't think I'd pay any number of gems for it, and certainly not the game-changing quantity being asked for here. Even with 13 gems snipped off the cost this is not an LTO that pulls me in.

And so we are done. Before I depart allow me to apologise to any readers waiting patiently for the goals content report that goes with last week's quest. Traditionally I release this post after finishing the goals, but with this set being a particular stinker in terms of duration (a 16 hour recipe!) I'm still battling through it. I expect to get the report up either tomorrow or Friday so keep checking in!

For now though I'd like to extend my best wishes to all of you this festive season. I hope everyone has a lovely Christmas and finds the time between courses during Christmas dinner to take a look at a tour of my place's festive outlook and another showcase spectacular - both are coming this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. The Frosty Family is gorgeous and would fit right in at my restaurant. UNFORTUNATELY, it's just too risky a gamble to try and obtain it. Good luck to all with this box.

    ReplyDelete