Saturday 12 August 2017

RS2 News (Aug 2017)

It's time for my monthly news bulletin for Restaurant Story 2, and there is plenty of water has passed under the bridge since my last update. One cruise has finished, another two have come and gone, and a fourth is now in progress. Add to that three more goal sets provided by Lani, and it's been a bumper month.

But don't get too excited. There's a familiar theme to proceedings, with content revisited and rehashed. We're at a point now where I'm debating whether these reviews are even worth bothering with since new news is actually old news. I guess the question is this - how long can Storm8 go on with this string of re-releases before either killing the game or breathing new life into it with fresh content?

 RS2 News
 08/07/17 July 2017
 10/06/17 June 2017
 06/05/17 May 2017
 01/04/17 April 2017
 11/03/17 March 2017

I'll leave you to ponder that, while I begin the last month's summary with the conclusion of the Independence Day cruise event. We were entering the final day or two at the time of my last post, and I was a little concerned that I was slipping behind. I was right to be concerned, and thanks to a combination of slacking and bad luck (that blimin' Deep Fryer!) I unfortunately had to spend 38 quick serves to make the finish.

And in doing so, I unlocked Uncle Sam who may just be a unique character since he drops two ingredients when he visits. Those are Ketchup and Mustard which are among the components required to cook Hot Dog and Tater Tots on the Jubilee Oven. The fact that this dish doesn't call for Cream or Sugar is a joy to behold since those are both ingredients always in high demand elsewhere.

Two more cruises have been completed since the Independence Day edition. The first came with an Australian theme, first seen in November 2016.

Main page of Australian themed cruise event

Crocodile Jack was the special guest on that previous occasion, and he is now joined by Stephen the Zoologist. His visits yield Croc Meat which feeds into another gem recipe - the Crocodile Tail Fillet earns a thumbs up from me for its absence of Cream and Sugar too, and is even more impressive than the hot dog since it just needs Garlic and Tomatoes as additional ingredients, both of which are easy gets.

The next cruise was introduced on the final Friday of July, with a French theme. As far as I know, there's been no previous appearance of this theme in a cruise - just looking through my inventory it appears I only have one of each of the prizes that were on offer during this event, with the exception of the Parisian Bike which I now have two of. That tends to indicate that at least some of the stuff has appeared previously, I guess in a standard quest (remember when we got them?!) Apologies for being so sketchy on this cruise - if you can provide any sharp details do please go ahead!

Notification for French themed cruise event

Anyway, appearances from Monsieur Pierre is what we were battling to gain, with Crepe Butter his valuable ingredient. And once again Cream and Sugar are absent from the ingredient list for his dish - the Pizza Crepe - but we don't get quite so lucky on this occasion. For the first time we have a gem producing recipe which needs the European Butter gained from gold stamps to make. That's a real kick in the teeth since it takes a lot of work to complete a cruise, and I don't appreciate then having an ingredient as difficult to obtain as this in order to utilise the prize dish.

As well as the cruise itself, there was also a three-step quest included which focused upon the Banana Crepe, a limited time recipe on the Jubilee Oven. It always had a timer on it, but it was unclear throughout whether this was related to finishing the cruise, the goal set or neither. It turned out to be the latter, with the crepe removed earlier this week once the cruise had expired for everyone. Given how many times it needed to be made to reach three-star mastery (40 for the third star alone!) having it expire so soon was pretty harsh from the gamemakers. I made it with a couple of hours to spare, but many others I'm sure did not.

On we go, and separating these cruises have been another three batches of tasks from Lani. These were the 16th to 18th sets of Lani goals, and followed the same old format that we're all accustomed to, that being three separate goals - one offering three silver stamps, one offering two silver stamps and one offering a gold stamp. The latter requires the player to activate it within a certain time limit and gives a 48 hours window only for completion.

Two silver stamp goal from Lani's 17th set of goals

The first two of these trios from Lani were all done and dusted comfortably in my game, with strong numbers of each stamp ingredient now stocked up in my pantry. So much so that I've decided to give the two silver stamp goals in the 18th batch a miss. I'd rather focus the more valuable resources on the mastery stars game, but did still plan to take on the gold stamp goal. However my assumption that this task would autostart when its timer run out proved misplaced - instead I lost the goal altogether! Slightly annoyed by that, but at least I've learnt a lesson there!

The last event to report is the 'Fees Like I'm in Cairo' cruise event. Naturally this is another re-release having first popped up in June 2015 when it was only the third ever cruise. It was launched on Thursday and is bolstered by the return of the Kebabs on the Diner Stove and the Shawarma on the Commercial Range. I mastered both the first time round, but at least for anyone who didn't or wasn't around there's another chance.

And that does it for this round-up. Elsewhere my mastery stars count has reached 854, which although impressive is still well down on my arch-rival, Creme, who has gone through the 900 mark. One day Creme, one day I will surpass you! On the expansion front I'm waiting for some more Blueprints to execute Expansion 24, but I'm not sure what the point of expanding is. That's because I still have my Rio Olympic theme in place, one year on from installing it. That's somewhat embarrassing! I'd promise that a refurbishment is coming soon, but that would be unwise I reckon!

4 comments:

  1. The RS2 community is small but your monthly RS2 reviews are a real treat and much appreciated! Right now I'm kicking myself for missing the time-limited Banana Crepe recipe :D

    Monsieur Pierre appeared in the Crepe goals in June 2016. It was a 14-day quest and he was also featured in your RS2 post that month :) Those were the heydays of RS2. I'm still hopeful for better days to come again for RS2!

    Never a rival but a friendly neighbour here - I'll be delighted when you top the mastery stars count :) Look forward to your refurbishment of The Onion Bush! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the crepe details! Totally forgot about that goal set which required us to make the Crepe Batter which is now the ingredient dropped by Pierre.

      The mastery stars are just a little bit of fun competition - we need something to keep us entertained! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm on level 19 of RS story...I haven't had any goals yo complete since the pirates, which I unfortunately didn't complete. Will any ever pop up again and does not completing the pirates goal have anything to do with it? When do cruises appear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're getting your games mixed up Christina - the pirate themed goals were in Restaurant Story while the cruise events are associated with the sequel title, Restaurant Story 2.

      A new cruise tends to come up every two or three weeks in RS2, and indeed there's a London themed one popped up just the other day.

      In RS it's less clear when new goals appear, but rest assured not completing one quest will not prevent others in the future from appearing. So at the time of writing we're just in between goals - I'd expect a new set to be released sometime in the coming week. :)

      Delete