Saturday 3 August 2013

A gem loss rant!

This post is a bit of a digression as it really discusses another TeamLava app - Bakery Story - but the fundamental fury is still relevant...

Yesterday I was trawling through the floor decorations tab in design mode in Bakery Story for potential gem purchases. With 57 gems in the bank I was in a position to really splash out.

Then catastrophe strikes. Having moved on to the floor tiles tab to look for flooring which would fit well with a picnic theme, I accidentally tap on the appliances tab. My finger then taps below automatically, and what does it tap?

The 'unlock now for 49 gems' button.

Additional appliance slot button

For a few moments I take in I'm what has just occurred, and then glance up to see a measly 8 gems left in my locker. Oh man. A dreaded gem trap that I have fallen into.

This is the second time this has happened to me in Bakery Story in just a couple of months. The last time I blew 40 gems on an expansion when I was only looking to check how much my next expansion would cost in coins. So that's 89 hard earned gems up in smoke.

The only saving grace in this tale is that it didn't happen in Restaurant Story, my main TeamLava game (hence the blog!)

Such incidents as this highlight the need to not store up your gems to the point where you're at risk of losing a shedload in a moment of misjudgement.

If you don't buy gems, I definitely recommend spending your gems as you go. Plan ahead and don't risk it. Because I know as well as anyone the feeling of fury when it all does wrong.

2 comments:

  1. This happened to me over the weekend! I used 40 of my hard-earned 85 gems to expand my restaurant! Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

    I have fallen victim to the "Finish this dish instantly" and "Buy 100,000 coins for 10 gems" traps before, but this is a new level of hurt. Oh! The pain!

    I have never bought anything that costs gems. I don't hoard them. Rather, I have been saving up for when I decide on a theme I can stick with, but in this game, there is no such thing as "saving up" when it comes to gems. There are too many traps!

    I think I will just have to man up and pick a theme and spend some gems on decor.

    So pissed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain!

      I have to admit that I haven't been following my own advice above - I've had a large number of gems in the bank for months now!

      It's something of a dilemma as you don't really want to be spending gems if you're not fully committed to what you're buying, but at the same time the more gems sitting around the higher the risk of losing big time!

      The only advice I can give for avoiding the gem traps is to take it slow and not tap around like a maniac. That's easier said than done though when you're in a rush to get out of the house for work/school! :)

      Delete