Monday 18 February 2013

Splashing the cash on gems

Are gems worth buying?

It's a question which will have a different answer for different people. Although it may seem ridiculous to some that others would spend real money on an app, at the end of the day it is equivalent to spending money on buying a PS3 or Xbox game. Then again NOT spending gems is all part of the challenge, is it not?

I personally spent £20.99 on 275 gems at Christmas time last year when a 40% off offer was around. Would I spend gems again now? Probably not. Don't get me wrong, I do not regret buying gems, but don't feel I'd get much out of further gem purchases (plus 40% offers are rather rare).

I made the most out of my gems by purchasing several high-priced items such as the Elegant Harp and Ping Pong Table:

Ping Pong Table - 55 gems (no longer available)

I also risked some gems with the boxes under the last tab. I'll make a post about the boxes and whether they are a good idea soon. Another investment has been in some smaller items such as the Cask and Umbrella Stand which can fill out your restaurant with nice items.

Some players will not buy gems but instead live with those they can pick up by completing goals and mastering recipes. This increases the challenge of the game - how good a restaurant can you construct without spending real money? The end result of this is both positive and negative - clearly miserly players will be priced out of many items but will no doubt reap in more satisfaction when their restaurant looks the bomb without paying a penny to TeamLava.

I know this feeling having gone several months without spending gems at the start of my time playing the game. For a while my crown jewel was my Aquarium near the door which really screamed upper class dining! And at 29 gems it took some time to save for. But once I bought and placed it, a sense of pride glazed over me. That's something I've not felt with any of the items I paid for.

At the end of the day, only you can decide whether or not to spend gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment