Wednesday 27 March 2013

Game update: 27/03/13

For some reason, this week's update came a day late. I've got no idea why, but don't have a problem with that anyway.

So, after building up the chance of a big Easter update over the last week, I'm left mightily disappointed. That's because for the fourth consecutive week, it's less Easter and more Eastern:

Notification for latest Asian theme update

So what is an Origami Chair? And how about an Action Counter? Well first up, here's the full list of new content:

Tables:
  • Origami Table - 74,000 coins
  • Shrine Table - 75,000 coins
Chairs:
  • Shrine Chair - 2 gems
  • Origami Chair - 37,000 coins
Wall decorations:
  • Action Scroll - 40,000 coins
Wallpapers:
  • Garden View - 2 gems
  • Washi Screen - 36,000 coins
Flooring:
  • Ancient Tile - 1 gem
  • Heian Mat - 4,200 coins
Counters:
  • Action Counter - 5 gems
  • Buddha Counter - 36,000 coins

The Origami Tables and Origami Chairs look excellent, but I wouldn't want to eat my supper on them! However their prices reinforce my concerns over the inflation of costs in Restaurant Story - something which we have already seen in Bakery Story.

In my opinion the rest of the new stuff is so-so. Basically there isn't anything which we haven't already had added to the game in recent weeks anyway. And I'm a bit down over the absence of any floor decorations, which is usually rare for an update of this nature, but has been a common denominator in the Asian updates.

However, with an array of new Asian themed content of late, I decided to refurbish my Steampunk section and go for a Far East look:

Asian themed section of The Garlic Tree

I've already discussed my admiration of the Origami Tables and Chairs, and also decided to include the new Washi Screen and Action Scroll. The two Paper Lanterns come in a 20,000 coins apiece, which I thought wasn't too bad. The flooring is Sandy Brick (it's cheap and has that wood brown tone). Now as far as counters go, none of the recent releases really fit the colour of my section, so I went for the Frontier Counter from Cowboy week, even though they are 38,000 coins each. And a Sushi Bar is obviously a must in this scene!

I feel that I'm missing something in this new look section, probably a floor decoration or two. But as outlined above, there aren't any! With 31 gems in the bank at the time of writing, I'm toying with the option of having a go at the Action Chef Box, but am very wary of blowing my gems on a theme that doesn't really light my fire.

Back to the update itself, and overall I'm disappointed that TeamLava have decided not to bother with Easter (at least yet). The Asian theme seems to have tired itself out, and it's time to move on to something else. Having said that, it's great that a new update is released every week at all - this does wonders in keeping the game fresh.

Of course it is possible that the Easter update could still be coming later in the week (I think the Christmas Edition was released to iOS users on a Thursday) but I'm just being optimistic at this stage. We're too close to Easter to expect anything major.

Even if TeamLava were just to re-release last year's Easter content so that players such as myself who started playing less than a year ago could engross themselves in some Easter treats it wouldn't be that bad.

But it looks like we're going to be spending Easter weekend in the Far East.

No comments:

Post a Comment