Thursday 2 January 2014

Game update: 01/01/14

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all had a fine Hogmanay.

Notification for New Year update

2014 has arrived, and with it comes a New Year themed update. Here's the usual list of new content:

Tables:
  • Starry - 2 gems
Chairs:
  • Starry - 6,800 coins
Wall decorations:
  • Wall Streamers - 2 gems
Floor decorations:
  • New Year Party - 34 gems (LTO)
  • Bubbly Fountain - 23,000 coins
Wallpapers:
  • Starry Sky - 1 gem
Counters:
  • Starry - 20,000 coins

There are also two new recipes. More on those in a tick.

It's great to get a New Year update - there wasn't one for the start of 2013, so I've never had any New Year things to put out in celebration. There was a New Year update for 2012 (released 30th Dec 2011) which even included goals, but that's well before my time!

Similarly to my reservations regarding the Christmas Day update, it's all a bit after the Lord Mayor's show. At least with Christmas decor it's natural to leave it up for a week or so, but New Year comes and goes in a matter of days.

And it's this concern that has me stuck in a deep dilemma over the limited time offer.

New Year Party limited time offer

The New Year Party is the fourth LTO in five weeks, which is a much greater frequency than normal. Here's a sneak peek at it previewed in my restaurant:

New Year Party

I love this item. As usual with LTOs, it's got that element of detail and in this case is packed into a 3x3 space, meaning it doesn't cramp your diner but is still a significant decoration. And most importantly of all the figures in it are ALL looking happy for a change!

With a horde of gems in my pocket at present, I'm so tempted to pay up for the New Year Party, but with no prospect of displaying it until New Year 2015, I'm struggling to justify the expenditure. But it would give me something to parade for the celebrations unlike this year...

Elsewhere in the update, the Bubbly Fountain is a fantastic value floor decoration. At 23,000 coins, you're getting a 2x2 sized item which has class and elegance oozing from it. It makes a great substitute for the Drink Tower which costs a mighty 20 gems and is actually smaller. I might try and incorporate one of these fountains into The Garlic Tree when I revert to my out of season themes in a few days time.

The Wall Streamers are also classy, but with a gem price require greater consideration. I think I'm going to pass, but can understand why others would be hanging them up immediately - they do have that posh feel to them.

This leaves the starry collection. Inevitably, the two which cost gems - the Starry Sky wallpaper and Starry table - are the items which I like the look of most. There's a hint of magic about these which for some reason I don't feel replicated in the other two. Having said that, the Starry stool does look decent enough, but without spending gems on the matching table, it's going to look out of place.

As alluded to, there are two new recipes to bake and brew. But first some housekeeping - the Peppermint Cake Roll and Honeyed Ham which were released three weeks ago have now been moved. You can find them together on the Basic Oven in between the Mud Pudding and Fish and Chips.

The first new recipe is also on the Basic Oven:

New recipe on Basic Oven

You can analyse the new recipes using my recipe list located here.

The Countdown Cookies won't be welcome in my home this New Year - just look at that artificial blue colour, it can't be natural!

The 8 hour dishes form a big group, and so it is difficult for any recipe to stand out from the crowd. These cookies are one of the many unable to make an impression. Unfortunately it's stats are more aligned with the goal appliance recipes of late than the superb basic appliance recipes. Here's a look at the Countdown Cookies compared to the five basic appliance additions in 2013:

Recipe Profit Portions XP Gain
Countdown Cookies (Basic Oven) 1,670 575 73
Flambeed Strawberries (Basic Stove) 3,570 1,225 82
Breakfast Dog (Basic Grill) 4,140 1,425 114
Escargots with Lamb (Basic Grill) 3,570 1,225 137
Pumpkin Cheesecake (Basic Oven) 4,230 1,450 126

As you can see there is a real gulf in class. After gaining the mastery gems for the cookies stick to the other dishes in the above table when it comes to cooking for 8 hours.

The other new recipe is the Tomato Drink, to be located on the Drink Machine:

New recipe on Drink Machine

If you heat up tomato juice do you get tomato soup? Never mind, I digress!

This juice has close to identical numbers to the Holiday Lights Cookies released in the first Christmas update, with the only difference being an extra 1 XP for mixing the Tomato Drink. Those cookies were written off in a moment, so the same fate falls on this drink too.

But in a bid to be positive, I will admit that it's always nice to get a 1 hour recipe as it means that the mastery gems can be obtained quicker.

And this point is extra significant at the moment because there is a possibility that TeamLava will be doing a mass content removal of holiday items in the near future. Last year's removal was announced on the 3rd of this month and took affect on the 7th. Of course there's no guarantee that any such event will occur, but I advise a visit to my Countdown to Content Removal page for details of everything most at risk of being removed so that you can be prepared.

That's all for now. Many happy returns in 2014!

3 comments:

  1. I say go for the New Years decoration! The glasses they are holding even match the glasses on the Bubbly Fountain, a detail that I'm finding hard to resist as well.

    You're going to either feel like a genius or an idiot a year from now...

    Also, I am definitely having panic attacks related to content removal. Why, why?! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, don't know if it affects how you feel, but the brown-haired boy on the right side of the New Years scene is also on right corner of the Picnic Prep display. I kind of hate the little people who appear identically in more than one display, so this puts me off a bit, but I don't know if you care?

      Like that one kid in the purple shirt with white sleeves who's in the RS Picnic Party and in the BS Pile of Leaves and Boardwalk Dining. I have a pretty irrational dislike of that kid, considering he doesn't exist!

      Delete
    2. Good spot! I don't own the Picnic Prep so can't say it's something I've noticed, and it won't affect my decision.

      But I do understand your frustration with the recycling of designs - there have even been one or two occasions when I've noticed parts of decorations from Bakery reused in Restaurant!

      As for the New Year Party, I'm currently budgeting for a big spend of my gems this weekend on a couple of themes, so will have to wait and see if there's enough left to go for the LTO. There's also the prospect of Valentine's content in a few weeks to think about.

      As for the content removal, just keep calm and brace yourself! There's always a chance that there won't even be one, but based off last year you can't take any chances! :)

      Delete