Wednesday 8 January 2014

Game update: 08/01/14

The partying never stops!

Chinese New Year update notification

Don't let the notification fool you. There is a new Winter themed box, but the main theme of this update is Chinese New Year! That's right - right on the heels of celebrating the start of 2014, we're now ready for Chinese New Year in Restaurant Story, complete with a new set of goals. Here's a list of everything added to the game:

Tables:
  • Chinese - locked by goal
Chairs:
  • Chinese - 4,200 coins
Wall decorations:
  • Chinese Wall Fan - 7,200 coins
  • Chinese Lanterns - 6,000 coins
Floor decorations:
  • Chinese Archway - locked by goal
  • Dragon Dance - locked by goal
Wallpapers:
  • Fireworks Celebration - 2,800 coins
Floor tiles:
  • Good Fortune Floor Tile - 750 coins
Appliances:
  • Dim Sum Stove - locked by goal
  • Chinese Dessert Oven - locked by goal
Counters:
  • Tanggu Drum - locked by goal
Boxes:
  • Winter Wonderland - 24 gems

It's great (if a little unexpected) to get a Chinese New Year theme There was one a couple of years back I believe, but last year the event was skirted over in favour of Winter and Valentine's Day themes.

I assume we'll still get a Valentine's period as it is a mainstay of TeamLava games, but with Chinese New Year itself not until January 31st, we could be in for several updates to celebrate the start of a new Chinese calendar.

The elephant in the room (or should that be the horse in the room!) is the new box, Winter Wonderland. Not for the first time, this appears to be an item that the game's developers opted not to release over recent weeks, so they've lumped it in now. After all it has little to do with Chinese New Year, and fits in the Christmas updates much better. The fact that it has been released the day after a Winter holiday content removal adds to the confusion.

Here's an estimate of the distribution of the prizes with thanks to Fat Bear for providing it:

First Prize (1% chance)
  • Snowball Fight
Second Prize (10% chance)
  • Winter Clydesdales
  • Dogsled Team
Third Prize (35% chance)
  • Snowy Fountain
  • Ice Sculpting
Fourth Prize (54% chance)
  • Sled Dog
  • Abominable Snowman
  • Woodburning Stove
  • Snowman Cook

Otherwise, every item this week costs coins. Get in! And most of them are quite cheap too, mainly because you'll need to buy most of them as part of the goals. So I recommend not spending like crazy straight away but waiting to see what the goals require.

The two floor decorations are both goal prizes, and look superb from the tiny thumbnails in the market. Both look massive with the Dragon Dance in particular looking a fantasic item. Well worth earning. My only issue is that the Chinese Archway will probably follow the trend for archways in the game - the customers won't be able to walk under it. If they could it would really make my day.

The Chinese table is also locked by goal, but looks the business with the use of red and yellow in the traditional colours of China. The red symbolises luck and supposedly holds off evil. I'll have some of those then! The Chinese chair matches perfectly with the table, while the Good Fortune Floor Tile also uses red and yellow very well.

Then you can add some Chinese Lanterns to the mix too. These are nice without making me jump up and down with glee. Personally I prefer the Paper Lanterns released last year in the Asian updates. I may mix and match. The Chinese Wall Fan for 7,200 coins gives a great alternative to the Paper Fan which costs 3 gems.

And the new counter, the Tanggu Drum, is also a cracker. The red and yellow prevail again, with a dragon on the side for good measure. I'm loving how all the new content matches so well!

Lastly there's the Fireworks Celebration. It doesn't go with the rest quite the same, but could pass off as a window if you attach a Red Curtain on the side. If you've got access to the Red Pattern wallpaper (removed January 2013) then it may be a good choice to flow in a Chinese New Year theme. At least the fireworks wallpaper is useable for the Gregorian calendar New Year too. I'll have it out to see in 2015!

As mentioned earlier on, there's a new set of goals.

Introduction to Chinese New Year goals

You can find out all the details of those here.

Now what about the recipes on the two appliances? Since there will be six in total, I'll post a report on those seperately, hopefully by Monday.

Update: See here for my recipe report!

That's all for this week. A really good theme to get the ball rolling in 2014. Here's to many more!

8 comments:

  1. I do not see the color of luck goal to unlock the chinese archway. I have cooked all the almond cookies, and bought the chairs. The only other goal I have is Tasty Turnip and to get the dim sum stoves, I have to complete the egg-celent indeed goal to unlock. This is not present either. Must I spend gems?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Color of Luck goal should definitely be there - it appears after completing the very first step (Chinese New Year!)

      Have you spend gems already to skip any of the goals? Sometimes this can result in prizes not being unlocked.

      I advise against skipping with gems just yet to solve your problem. Try contacting the game's developers to get a solution at emailsupport@teamlava.com. They may be able to fix the issue. :)

      Delete
  2. This is my best guess at the prizes, from what I've seen of the box so far.

    4th place:
    Sled dog (I think this dog is pretty weird looking, maybe it's just me)
    Abominable waiter (super cute and holding a tray of tomato drink)
    Woodburning stove (this is excellent as it looks like it connects to the wall at the top; just a great piece)

    3rd place:
    Snowy fountain (pretty but bland)
    Ice sculpting (I think he's carving the ice sculpture that was in the Christmas box; if so, props to TL, that's pretty great)

    2nd place
    Winter Clydesdales (this is pretty but the sizing is off; the horses look way too small for our customers to ride)
    Dogsled team

    1st
    Snowball fight

    What is the last 4th place? It's driving me slightly crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as ever for your contribution Fat Bear! I've added this information to the post.

      Unfortunately I can't finish the distribution off with the last 4th prize - you've exhausted my list of items identified.

      I've only seen five of these items and would be interested to catch a glimpse of the Snowball Fight, Dogsled Team and Ice Sculpting. Are you able to provide a link (online or in-game!)

      Of those I have seen the Abominable Waiter is the one which really tickles me. it looks great and would make a fine addition to my kitchen. I'm not going to gamble for it though! :)

      Delete
    2. I'll work on links and let you know. I know a friend has ice sculpting, so that one's easy. The others I'll try to remember...

      Delete
    3. I posted approx. 50 times on your wall (sorry!) about this, but I have links to quico and Cynthia Diner on my wall. Cynthia has the ice sculptor; quico has everything else. And maybe the last 4th place is a snowman baker that quico has? I don't know where that piece is from, at any rate.

      Delete
    4. Thanks again Fat Bear - excellent investigating!

      I've seen all the prizes now and am well impressed with the quality of items that can be gained from this box.

      I've put the Snowman Cook as a 4th prize by the way - I've never seen it before and a quick Google doesn't yield any results so it's probably new. :)

      Delete
    5. I had snowman cook confirmed by my friend who's opened the box a bunch, so that sounds good!

      Pictures of all the prizes are up on the forums: http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?48635-Restaurant-Master-Box-List&p=830492#post830492

      Delete