Wednesday 5 March 2014

Game update: 05/03/14

March is here, and the focus is turning to the basketball court.

Notification for Basketball & St Patrick's Day update

Complete with a new set of goals, this update revolves around one of the major North American sports, but as the notification indicates there's also a touch of green... Here's a full list of the new content:

Tables:
  • Rainbow Table - 3 gems
  • Nothin' But Net Table - locked by goal
Chairs:
  • Courtside Seat - 4,300 coins
  • Rainbow - 3,000 coins
Wall decorations:
  • All-Star Jersey - 6,500 coins
  • Scoreboard - 7,500 coins
  • Double Rainbow Painting - 22,000 coins
Floor decorations:
  • Lucky Green Couch - 32 gems
  • Leprechaun Waiter - 28,000 coins
  • Blarney Stone - 18 gems
  • Basketball Hoop Lamp - locked by goal
  • Halftime Show - locked by goal
Wallpapers:
  • Screaming Fans - 3,050 coins
Floor tiles:
  • Gym Floor Tile - 810 coins
Appliances:
  • Sweet Shot Oven - locked by goal
  • Halftime Oven - locked by goal
Counters:
  • Rainbow - 20,000 coins
  • Jumboscreen Counter - locked by goal
(*) Re-released item from St Patrick's Day 2012.

So although the main theme going on here is basketball, there is a range of previously removed St Patrick's Day items which have been re-introduced ahead of the big day a week on Monday. Note that these items are not listed at the start of their respective tabs - you're going to have to do some searching! A lot of players would have liked a full update (preferably with goals) dedicated to St Paddy's, but I'm content with seeing the old stuff returned. It's a theme which has been covered before, so I'd rather we took in something totally new.

Which takes me conveniently onto the basketball content. It's a strange update as there's no clear reason to 'celebrate' the sport at this time - the regular NBA season ends in April, but that's still a good bit away. And linking to what I said in the previous paragraph, we've actually already got the odd basketball item such as the Basketball wallpaper.

Update: Thanks to Far Bear for explaining the timing of the basketball theme! I'm pretty clueless on American sports, and it shows!

The items themselves don't really appeal to me. Don't get me wrong I'm into my sports having previously displayed a sports themed section, but there's just a lack of wow factor about the new pieces. Unless you want to go all out and create a basketball court, it's difficult to integrate most of the items into your restaurant inconspicuously.

Being the final goal prize, the Halftime Show looks from the tiny thumbnail in the market to be a decent decoration, but the other floor decoration - the Basketball Hoop Lamp - is just strange. Why did they need to make the hoop a lamp? Nobody will be scoring many baskets in there!

To help build your basketball court there's the Gym Floor Tile. Being a constituent of the goals this tile is cheap, and might be useful in other themes too, although I much prefer the Elegant flooring's shiny finish. Around the court you can have a crowd courtesy of the Screaming Fans. It's a good idea, but has little use outside of the arena.

Likewise the Courtside Seat will help bring together a basketball scene. These have definitely got the cheapskate and 'plasticy' feel that is typical of sports venues. In contrast the Nothin' But Net Table looks cool. The hoop and net forms the main structure of the table which is quite clever. It's just a shame there isn't a chair which matches - my best suggestion is the Pumpkin Stool if you've got any as it looks slightly like a basketball!

The two new wall decorations are alright. But the All-Star Jersey is the latest in a long line of framed shirts, so seems redundant. The Scoreboard is a good idea and is again a nice addition to a basketball themed area.

Now let's take a look at the St Patrick's Day content. It's all been in the game before, and there's a good chance it will be removed again, so I'd say it's worth buying anything you like pronto. My only gripe with the returning content is the lack of the Shamrock Oven. I've already mastered it's recipes, but it would have been nice for players who didn't own one to do so.

Update: The Shamrock Oven may not be back, but the Egg Salad Sandwich is! It can be found on the Basic Stove in between Tomato Bisque and Crème Brûlée.

New recipe on Basic Stove

As the mastery meter shows, I've not yet mastered this dish, so am chuffed to see it return and will be cooking it vigourously over the next few days to reach level four completion. If you're in the same boat I strongly urge you to point all non-goal appliances in the direction of this sarnie.

To the items, and the much loved Rainbow Table, Rainbow chair and Rainbow counter have returned, and will no doubt be on the shopping lists of many as they were very popular.

Meanwhile there's three floor decorations up for grabs. The Leprechaun Waiter is the pick of them for 28,000 coins, and I've already bought one to work some overtime in The Garlic Tree's kitchen section. The Lucky Green Couch looks really good, but I'm hesitant to spend 32 gems on a couch, especially one which is only relevant for a short period of the year. At least the Romanic Park Bench (for 30 gems) has two people on it and fits in a garden area all year round.

Lastly there's the Blarney Stone. It's 2x1 and a bit cheaper at 18 gems. I like this decoration, especially with the greenery draped around it. Thinking ahead to my upcoming refurbishment which will include new and exciting areas, I'm seriously tempted here!

As already mentioned, there is a new set of goals taking in the basketball theme, with all the details here.

Introduction to Basketball goals

There are 34 days to complete them, so there's no great rush, but it's well worth doing even if like me you don't fancy the new decor. This is because the two appliances are unlockable only through the goals so to gain access to the six recipes (and thus 12 gems for mastery) you need to do the goals.

Instead of posting a recipe report for the goal dishes as I usually do, I'm going to post a goal content report once I've unlocked everything. This is partly because the recipe reports have become repetitive due to the recurring rubbish recipes, and also because I don't usually get a chance to analyse the goal decorations in detail, so this will be my chance!

Happy March everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Not sure if this will post or not so I'll be quick but 2 things:

    1) I don't have the St. Patricks day stuff? You didn't download a special version, did you? You don't mention it, but since we both play on Apple devices I can't think why else you'd have it and I don't. Boo!

    2) The basketball stuff is in march because of what's known in the states as "March madness", which is college ball's playoffs. University level play is pretty huge here as well and it tends to dominate sports talk during this month. Wish I could tell you more but I'm more of an American football girl (or rather bear). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it posted! I'm going to have to go back and hit up some of your previous entries, as I've been getting error messages when I try to post for a while now. Huzzah, fat bear returns!

      Apparently, the post working returned my brain to working as well, because I realized that probably, the reason I didn't see the St. Patricks day stuff is that it's not at the start of the section, like with a lot of the reintroduced stuff. So I do have it! I'm glad you noticed; who knows how long I'd have gone without seeing it. Thanks. :) Now I have a creepy leprechaun of my very own.

      I'm still right about March madness, though. :P Link to explanation on Wikipedia here, if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Championship

      Delete
    2. I meant to mention that the St Patrick's stuff is not at the front of each tab but obviously forgot! It's updated now!

      As for March madness, I'd never heard of it! I'm aware that College sports are big on your side of the pond, but had no idea of this competition. Having had a look at the link I'm overwhelmed by the complicated structure of it! I'm going to stick to the good old-fashioned straight knockout of the FA Cup. ;)

      Delete
  2. Ha! Have you looked at the basketball wall scoreboard? It says the two teams are HOME and GUST. :D oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! It's not even as if there's not enough space to fit in the missing letter. I guess every update has a TeamLava gaffe somewhere! :)

      Delete