Wednesday 12 March 2014

Game update: 12/03/14

Following last week's re-release of some St Patrick's Day content, we've now got an update dedicated to the Irish holiday.

Notification for St Patrick's Day update

In particular, this is a box update. The only new item is the Lucky Chest for 24 gems, which gives the player one of nine decorations at random, with varying degrees of probability.

For the first time in many months, we've got a teaser via the TeamLava Blog, which shows the box's goodies in all their glory:

Items from Lucky Chest as shown on TeamLava Blog

As of yet there are only two items I can confirm a level for - the Irish Band (to the left of the door) is a second prize and the teddy, called Hug Me, I'm Irish, is a third prize. Beyond that it's all speculation, but I think we can be quite safe in assuming the distribution is as follows:

First Prize (1% chance)
  • Irish Dancers
Second Prize (10% chance)
  • Irish Band
  • Leprechaun House
Third Prize (35% chance)
  • Hug Me, I'm Irish
  • Irish Treats
Fourth Prize (54% chance)
  • Irish Terrier
  • Pot of Gold
  • Lucky Lamp
  • Irish Welcome
A big thank you to our resident box analyst Fat Bear for finding the official names of most of these items!

It's good to get a preview so that we know what the box holds within before parting with gems. And you've got me to thank for that after a Suggestions Box contribution in December!

Like with last month's Love Chest, I'm disappointed that the game's developers have opted to do a standalone release for a box. It's a move which excludes those who are short of gems and those who aren't keen on the lottery of the boxes.

This decision is all the more baffling when you consider that the re-release of some St Patrick's Day 2012 content took place last week. With the Basketball goals dominating our thoughts, this re-release went under the radar somewhat - TeamLava could have really bigged up a re-release by doing it this week.

Moreover there's no new recipes for getting stuck into. It would have been nice to see the Shamrock Oven returned, even for a short time, but there you have it.

Overall I'm slightly irritated by the focus on the box (although it's understandable from a moneymaking perpective for the gamemakers). But St Patrick's Day is a great theme in my opinion, so I may yet have a dunk in the box if I can summon the luck of the Irish!

4 comments:

  1. Awwe. I am not too fond of the lottery boxes either. I would love the house, but not the other ones... To think that my hard-earned gems could go wasted... Ugh. On the other hand I would've loved to be able to cook up some of those Irish dishes! I will have to pass up on this holiday special...

    (If you don't mind, I would love to see your store in-game! I recently restarted playing RS and BS, and I'm really enjoying reading your posts! I look at your recipe list and write down a list of profitable/portion items to make every day :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my recipe list is useful to you!

      The Leprechaun House is the item which stands out to me too in the box. I'd love to be able to display it as part of an outdoor area, but the odds are very much against getting it.

      If you leave your Storm ID here, I'll add you, and remove the comment if you'd rather your ID wasn't readily available. But be warned - I'm going to be expanding AND redecorating tomorrow! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I hope I don't miss it before the change! Altho I can't wait to see the new look... Hmmm let me guess...going green for St Patty's?

    And the recipe list...let's just say I wish you'd played BS too, as I dearly wish there was something like yours for that game too! I love how I can sort and filter and...I've also sent the link to my friends who play RS so they can plan their menu >_<

    ID: bittersky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do play Bakery Story too, but not with the same gusto as Restaurant. I certainly don't have a recipe list for it unfortunately.

      I've sent you an invite! The refurbishment hasn't begun just yet, but a few items in storage are being dusted down... ;)

      Delete