Wednesday 19 March 2014

Game update: 19/03/14

We're taking a trip to Italy this week!

Notification for Italian themed update

It's a small update, but nevertheless here's the comprehensive list of new items:

Tables:
  • Italian Checkered - 2 gems
Chairs:
  • Red Stool - 24,300 coins
Wall decorations:
  • It's Pizza Time - 12 gems
Floor decorations:
  • Noodle Poodles - 29 gems
  • Leaning Tower of Pizza - 39,000 coins
Wallpapers:
  • Exposed Brick - 1 gem
Counters:
  • Pizza Display Counter - 52,000 coins

There's also a new dish on the Basic Oven. More on that in a minute.

Before I commence the analysis, I'd like to make an interesting point. On two occasions I've called for Italian themed content in my Suggestions Box. The first was specific to more pizza recipes, while the second just last month was for a general Italian theme (although there was emphasis on the recipe side of things). Now I seriously doubt my suggestions have had a bearing on this update as it was probably scheduled many months ago, but it's nice to think someone in the TeamLava factory is reading!

This is by no means a cheap update. The coin items are expensive, and there's a number of gem items too. Starting with the coin content, the Red Stool is quite generic. I'm not getting an Italian vibe from this chair, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - at least it could be useful in many environments.

The Pizza Display Counter is the polar opposite - it's very specific to the theme. I've never quite understood the attraction of counters with something stored behind glass underneath, but if you're into that kind of thing then this might be for you. It's worth noting that this is the fourth most expensive counter active in the market. At 52,000 coins, buying a batch of these will really hurt your coin count.

The last coin item is the Leaning Tower of Pizza. I might sound overly critical here, but it is ugly in my eyes. Perhaps that's the aim, to convey the greasiness of a fast food diner, but this floor decoration has no place in my palace! However there will no doubt be some who love this piece as it is a type of decoration you may actually see in a restaurant (okay maybe not that high!) and those can be few and far between.

The other floor decoration is the Noodle Poodles. A preview of this 29 gem item can be seen over on the TeamLava Blog:

Items from Italian themed update as shown on TeamLava Blog

It's 2x2 in size and features a pair of poodles sharing a romantic meal. I'm not big on dogs so will pass on this, but again there will be some who are delighted by it. In particular I'm talking about those who like to buy up all the dog decorations. I just wonder if more players would have invested in this one if it had been released in the Valentine's updates.

For a table without the dogs, there's the Italian Checkered. It's really nice - the tablecloth is in the colours of the Italian flag, and could be useful for creating a homely atmosphere in your restaurant.

Heading to the walls, the best addition this week in my opinion is the Exposed Brick wallpaper. It's the first true exposed wall we've had other than the Stacked Wood which has a pretty rough finish. I'm seriously thinking of using it in my new kitchen area as it has the right shade of brown to match the Sandy Brick floor I've laid. The only thing holding me back is the price - I prefer to spend my gems on decorations (floor and wall) so to pay up precious gems for a wallpaper would require a touch of bravery!

Lastly, the It's Pizza Time is a clock which can be hung from the Exposed Brick. I guess it's alright and would certainly blend into an Autumn area because of it's orange colours, but at 12 gems it's definitely overpriced.

I still don't think we've got enough Italian themed content to really do something special in our places. You can of course get creative and use odds and ends from across the market to fill such a section out, but some more Italian stuff is definitely needed.

On the plus side, at least the update teasers seem to be back permanently. An image of the Leaning Tower of Pizza was posted way back on Friday on Facebook and Twitter. It's nice to know what's coming ahead of time!

Now as promised, a look at the new Basic Oven recipe, which is a 5 hour effort called Chicken Parm Pie.

New recipe on Basic Oven

You can analyse this recipe for yourself using my recipe list located here.

Even at a glance, this is a quality recipe on the stats front. It's XP gain is the number which stands out. The 111 XP is the very best of all 5 hour dishes, both past and present, beating out the Pretzel Twists (Basic Oven). Because the 5 hour recipes form a relatively small pool, let's compare the pie to the bearpit that is the 4 hour recipes. Even then, only the Garlic Noodles (Basic Stove) and Smoked Turkey Leg (Basic Oven) give more XP per hour.

Regarding profit and portions, the pie doesn't rate so well - it is about average for a 5 hour dish on profit and slightly better on portions. Coffee (Yellow Coffee Maker) is the leading recipe in this duration for both these components, with a whopping 4,400 coins profit available.

So if you're hell-bent on choosing a 5 hour food to prepare then it really depends on what you want out of it. If money-making is your game then pour some coffees, but if you're after more XP then this pie is a winner. Regardless, I'm just pleased too see another recipe of note following on from the Disco Fries a few backs back, after a long spell without anything of use.

So what next? Will we be touring Europe? Or are Spring updates on the way? I'm hoping for the latter as I'd like to add to my new Garden section, and am hopeful since some TeamLava games did get Spring content this week. Go on TeamLava, do as I say again!

4 comments:

  1. I don't see any of these items available on iOS (Apple). I've noticed that the items available in iOS and Android are not the same. Most items are the same, many are not. The customers in the two versions are also different in appearance. Why is this; why are the two games not identical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reason you can't see any of the new items is because I believe they only become available at level 67, which is very unfair in my book.

      Regarding differences between iOS and Android, I think both games get all the content eventually, although sometimes Android is a bit later. Plus occasionally a new update is delivered via a new app for Androiders, which might explain the different appearance of customers if they were dressed up for some occasion. :)

      Delete
  2. The chicken parm pie looks like barf pie smothered in cheese. I was looking forward to reading your critique on this item.. especially after seeing what you thought about the disco fries. This is a visual game I call it as I see it :)

    I truely enjoy your blog.. it is a nice escape and I always look forward to your updates.

    Your garden is a refreshing addition :) I think you have managed to place decorations and tables etc in a very efficient and organised manner. It all makes sense. The one thing that has me scratching my head is the music box. Placing a huge box in a 1d virtual game is going to be hard. It is as if you need to build a corner for it. Im really not a fan of placing large premade objects. Lack of flexibility is my main complaint.

    Anyways i look forward to your next update :) ~Red Maple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoy the blog!

      I understand your frustration with some of the bigger items. They take a lot of space and can sometimes even obscure whatever's behind them, so can be a bit irritating. But they are able to provide a focal point to a restaurant, something which a number of small objects together can't quite achieve. :)

      Delete