Saturday 14 March 2015

The refresh blueprint

It was a year ago this week that I made my penultimate expansion and completely overhauled the layout of The Garlic Tree. In the 12 months since I've made my final expansion and completed the formidable task of mastering every recipe in the game, but the arrangement of my place has broadly remained the same.

So the time has come for a refresh! I've been formulating a new design in my head for a good while and have this week put it to work with a blueprint. Here it is:

Blueprint for new layout of The Garlic Tree

Those familiar with my diner will immediately spot that some of the hallmarks of The Garlic Tree are going nowhere. The concept of having a number of sections each home to a different theme stays, including the main eating area, the kitchen, the foyer and the outdoor zone. The remaining sections will be rotated as before, but I plan to use the Italian, table tennis, Steampunk and Egyptian styles for the grand opening.

Of the standard areas, only the kitchen is really going to see any serious changes as I attempt to incorporate some of the lovely items I obtained by purchasing the Classic Bundle prior to its removal. The Ticket Station, Culinary Artist, Dishwasher, Industrial Fridge and Classic Chef are all decorations sourced from it, and I've devised a means of slotting them all in without having to make the kitchen significantly larger than it is a present. The downside is that the Swedish Kitchen has had to go, but at least it's had a good run!

For me there are two big gains to come out of this new layout. The first is the return of the two stretches of water joining the foyer to the main section. Complete with Lotus Flowers and Flamingos this feature was involved in an earlier layout and it was a shame to ever have to get rid. It's not as long as previously but I'm just happy to accommodate it at all.

 Previous refurbishment posts
 15/03/14 Expanding into the garden
 13/04/13 The Garlic Tree refurbished

The other benefit of this new set-up is the increase in the number of sections. Right now I've got three themed areas but with this remodel there'll be room for four. To do this I've had to compromise on something, and that is the number of tables and chairs around the restaurant. Under the proposed plan I'll only have 20 available seats for the bots (the two in the garden are blocked off by the Garden Archway) which is well down on both what I have presently and what is required to ensure no angry punters. But with no expansions to save for that's not a major issue for me - I don't really need to maximise my income these days anyway.

So that's a little preview of what's to come. I'm hoping to execute this refurbishment over the coming week, and will post the results next weekend. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. This is such a good idea! I've only used a spreadsheet type plan once before (when I was pretty new), but it is really valuable if you're trying to figure out how everything goes together without doing the work more than once. The second one option is what I do now, and that's why changes sometimes takes days and days to be complete... But being able to work on it for just a few minutes at a time works best with my life (small children).

    I really look forward to your changes though. No matter what you do in your restaurant it always has that "Garlic Tree" vibe so I always know who I'm tipping. Ca't wait for the next version. :) I'm hoping we get an awesome update this week so that I can retire the jungle - love it, but you know me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could cope without some sort of forward plan! I'm too much of a perfectionist to leave my place halfway between redesigns so always make a blueprint and try to set aside some time to do the whole thing in one go.

      I wish I had the ambition and creativity to redecorate as often as you do! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi I love your site. I was wondering what do you use to make your blue print. I'd like t try something similar with my rs so that I can mo e stud Round without actually moving it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christina! I just use a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to plan layouts. It's definitely the way to go - I'd really struggle to do big renovations without a blueprint. :)

      Delete
  3. Really? That's done with excel? Awesome job. I planed mine out using notability on my iPad using a grid paper. ill have to give excel a shot. Thank you for answering!!!!

    ReplyDelete