Wednesday 19 November 2014

Game update: 19/11/14

We waited long enough for Autumn, and now there's a second consecutive update for the season.

Notification for latest Autumn 2014 update

Unlike the goals last week, this one is a regular update, with a range of content across the categories available for a mixture of coins and gems. Here's the list of all the new items:

Tables:
  • Pear Table - 4 gems
Chairs:
  • Pear Chair - 4,000 coins
Wall decorations:
  • Hanging Rake - 3,500 coins
Floor decorations:
  • Fall Hedge - 5 gems
  • Pinecone Fountain - 40 gems
  • Tandem Bike - 30,000 coins
  • Wine Cart - 30,000 coins
  • Fallen Tree - 50,000 coins
  • Pinecone Vase - 15,000 coins
  • Romantic Carriage - 75,000 coins
  • Pilgrim Thanksgiving - 55 gems (LTO)
Wallpapers:
  • Falling Leaves - 5,000 coins
Floor tiles:
  • Fall Leaf - 4,500 coins
Counters:
  • Wreath Counter - 10 gems

Level 9 is the point at which all this new stuff unlocks, with the exception of the LTO which is available to all.

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by this update! Given the trend of late I was fully expecting the remainder of November to be filled out with themes unrelated to Autumn. The continuity is very satisfying, as it gives the players a chance to really go to town with Autumn decorating if they want to. This is especially important for those who haven't got a trove of stuff from previous years' Autumn updates.

And this Autumn update isn't just impressive for being a second week in a row of the same theme. There are seven floor decorations specific to the season in there, and that is extremely rare. To add to the delight only two of them cost gems, so it's big smiles all round!

Let's get deep on some of the new items then. Where to start?! How about the Tandem Bike? It's a really cute 2x1 piece featuring two happy bots having a ride. I think the thing I love most about it is the shear versatility - this bike won't look out of place in any outdoor themed area, regardless of the season. I've bought one and definitely plan to use it in the future.

The beauty of the Tandem Bike is matched by the Wine Cart. It's also 2x1 and has everything you'd want from an Autumn themed decoration packed in there - we've got wreaths, candles, pinecones and wild flowers all present. My only reservation falls with the wine, which looks a little yellow for my liking! The Wine Cart has bagged a spot in my main section, a very rare addition in there!

The Fallen Tree has also worked its way into The Garlic Tree. The name of this item is puzzling since it evokes thoughts of a tree which has been uprooted rather than a tree whose leaves have all fallen off. Nevermind! At least it looks better than it sounds, with a pile of leaves collecting on the ground. There are actually two of these have been installed in my outdoor zone, which says it all about how much I like them.

The two remaining floor decorations for coins are the Pinecone Vase and Romantic Carriage. They're at opposite ends of the scale really. The vase is a small piece which is very clever in its use of a giant pinecone to form the vase; the carriage is an imposing 4x4 in size and is all about the grandeur of the carriage, the horses and the lucky couple. The inclusion in the Romantic Carriage of leaves on the ground is excellent for helping blend it in with the season, and there's something quite pleasing about how the designers have done to the bother of having one of the horses rearing up on two legs. If I had space I'd add the carriage to my Thanksgiving parade, but alas it would mean sacrifices which I just can't bring myself to make!

 Autumn 2014
 17/11/14 Goals content report
 13/11/14 Goals
 13/11/14 Goals update

The two floor decorations which come with gem tags are both an absolute no-no for me. The Fall Hedge is a fantastic concept. I praised the Wall Hedge to the hilt when it was released, and the idea of having new hedges as the seasons change is glorious. But for 5 gems each? I don't think so, and it's a shame because I think a row of the Fall Hedges would look super alongside the rest of my Autumn outlook. The Pinecone Fountain is another good concept gone wrong. Pinecones have got a great shape for acting as the centre of a fountain, but the finish is dreadful. It's far too bland and bright for an Autumn themed addition. Some loose leaves and weathering would improve it no end.

There are only a couple more items in this update which are gem additions. The Wreath Counter leaves me somewhat annoyed as it is essentially a wine rack made into a counter. I'd love a dedicated wine rack for my posh section, but this counter just can't achieve the desired effect while still fulfilling the function of being a counter. And at 10 gems? You've got to be kidding there!

Lastly on the gem front, the Pear Table is rather unique, taking on the shape of half a pear. It's a quirky item which I think there will be plenty of support for, but the gem cost will be a major turn off for most. At least the accompanying Pear Chair is for coins, and is even more quirky. This time it's just a wedge of the pear that's been cut away to create a chair. If you're willing to let go of having a realistic looking restaurant (and let's face it, most of us are long past that point!) then this is well worth considering.

The Fall Leaf flooring is okay, without doing enough to make me tap frantically. I think the thing putting me off is the number of better Autumn floor tiles in the game - the Autumn Squares, Autumn Leaves, Fall Leaves Tile, Autumn Floor and Fall Foliage are all existing tiles I'd rather (and have) gone for.

I'm not sure what to make of the Falling Leaves wallpaper. The leaf designs and their placement is pretty, but even with the soft blue speckles the white background is out of place. Some sort of tone is needed there for my money, perhaps a pastel orange would be an improvement? In contrast I'm totally digging the Hanging Rake. Rake or otherwise, the inverted glasses are a puff of style which belongs in my kitchen. Added to the Jam and Jellies, Valentine Menu and Tea Cup Garland I've now amassed quite a collection of quality wall decorations for the kitchen zone.

Right, it's on to the limited time offer and box sale. You'll have to tap through several pages to find the Pilgrim Thanksgiving which is available for six days at 55 gems.

Pilgrim Thanksgiving limited time offer

It's actually the first prize in the Horn of Plenty box, so too bad if you spent a fortune last week trying to get it when that box was one sale! It's not a particularly impressive first prize in my opinion (it's got a floor attached, grrr!), and is all the less tempting considering the concept is identical to that of the Thanksgiving Feast which is the final prize in the current goal set. But it is the first case of a LTO of an existing item unrelated to the poll that's been running recently on the TeamLava Forum, which is interesting. If the first and second prizes from the Winter Wonderland get this treatment in the next while I'll be first in the queue!

The other special deal this week comes from the Football Chest.

Notification for sale on Football Chest

Thanksgiving weekend is a big one for the American Football season (so I'm reliably informed!) which is why this box is the one getting a 25% offer. I do hope this weekly sale continues, although there is a slight possibility that it is an innovation for November only as I'm sure there are fewer gem sales in the weeks leading up to Black Friday. This deal might persuade a few to blow their stash and consequently spend big on Black Friday.

And it's Black Friday where I finish up. It's now just nine days until the day we've all been waiting for. I've hoarded over the last few months so already have a healthy gem bag for the occasion, but have also reached level four mastery minus one on well over 100 recipes. That means well over 100 more gems are within my grasp for the big day, so I'm starting my final push as we speak!

And it's not the only significant goings-on in the The Garlic Tree this week. Because the blueprints have been laid for a shifting of the walls. That can mean only one thing...

3 comments:

  1. How lovely Igloo Man! Coincidentally I just read your post from last year when you displayed blueprints for an expansion, and I thought to myself "wow... someone else goes to these extremes" haha.

    I have to agree that this is an outstanding update!! The past few months has really opened up the long list of 1) large, 2) detailed, and 3) coin, floor decorations. One really can have an outstanding and glamorous restaurant on a super tight gem budget, and I think it's fantastic.

    I also actually laughed out loud when I read "and lets face it, most of us are long past that point" [of having a realistic looking restaurant] - because as my designs have evolved over the past months, my 'restaurant' has gradually had less and less indoor area... I don't know how I can even call Black Pepper a 'restaurant' anymore!!

    Looking forward to seeing how you plan on shifting your walls for one final time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get too worked up about my final expansion! There won't be a full makeover on this occasion, just a slight change to the dimensions to some of the sections. That doesn't mean it isn't exciting though!

      Back in the day my place was all about realism, with the main section now basically being what the whole restaurant was decked out like, along with the kitchen. But then I grew large enough to house one themed section, and another, and another...

      Your place is out of control with outdoor themes! However the railway system you've installed recently has done a fantastic job of marrying all the little areas together. Do you plan to keep it permanently in some capacity? :)

      Delete
  2. Great question!.. I'm not sure, but I very much love the continuity my place has now. And even though you're right, the train is really linking everything together - I'm not going to say I'll never shift it, as I like coming up with ways to link everything together. I love planning and executing a good renovation, so the trick will be now to work in new areas/items with the over all existing theme.

    My next major renovation will of course be for Winter/Christmas, and the train could remain and do a brilliant job - but it does take up a lot of space, so I guess it depends how many Christmas decorations will be on offer.. I'm also wondering if the Farmers Market will be able to remain in a Winter setting as I really like that area...??

    And although you say there won't be a full makeover at The Garlic Tree, I'm sure you have a few nice plans up your sleeve, and i'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete