Wednesday 6 August 2014

Game update: 06/08/14

It's goal week, and this August we're going back in time to Ancient Egypt.

Notification for Ancient Egypt update

It's a theme many have asked for over the years, and it's finally been delivered! Here's the list of new content:

Tables:
  • Pyramid Table - 9,500 coins
Chairs:
  • Pharaoh Throne - 4,000 coins
Floor decorations:
  • Sarcophagus Statue - 14,000 coins
  • Egyptian Cat Statue - locked by goal
  • Treasure Room - locked by goal
  • Desert Hound - locked by goal
Wallpapers:
  • Hieroglyphics - 9,000 coins
Floor tiles:
  • Desert Sand - 1,350 coins
Appliances:
  • Sphinx Fountain - locked by goal
  • Ancient Sands Stove - locked by goal
Counters:
  • Ancient Sands Counter - 8,250 coins

So interestingly there are no wall decorations included in this update, although there are three floor decorations to unlock, which is more than usual. I'd say this is acceptable, especially since the wallpaper that comes with this update is already covered in designs, so there's no real need to place any more decor on it.

The goals are the only way to obtain the five 'locked by goal' items above, so do give them a go.

Introduction to Ancient Egypt goals

For some more details on the goals, see my dedicated post here.

Regarding the new stuff, I'll reserve judgement on the goal items until my goal content report early next week. As for everything else? Well, there's only one place to start - the Desert Sand is a floor tile I have been begging for since the days of King Tut's reign! It's nothing flashy, just a plain sandy tile available for coins. My prayers have been answered! It's just a shame that I've already packed away my beach section for the Summer - perhaps it will need to be given another airing before the nights begin to draw in.

The other freely available item that I really like is the Sarcophagus Statue. Being a goal update it's also up for coins, and it's clear that the gamemakers have spend a great deal of time developing this decoration. There's so much detail on it, with loads of patterns flowing in different directions. Well done TeamLava!

Unfortunately I can't get so excited about the Pyramid Table or the Pharaoh Throne. If it weren't for the weekly ritual of giving us a table with a circular glass top I'd probably give the Pyramid Table the thumbs up, but at this point I've had enough of glassy tables. The Pharaoh Throne has a rather misleading name. A throne? Really? It's not exactly as mighty and intimidating as, say, the Iron Throne. If I were a Pharaoh (and I can assure you I am not!) then I'd be forever grumpy if this was the best my kingdom had to offer me.

On the other hand, the Ancient Sands Counter is really nice. It's essentially a sandy stone block with hieroglyphics carved into the top and sides. In contrast to the Sarcophagus Statue it is quite simple in design, but has the same positive effect on me. Not least because there's no glass in sight!

To line the walls of your Ancient Egyptian theme, you can paste on some Hieroglyphics wallpaper. I've already mentioned how this addition is busy with patterns, but if you look closely you'll notice that the yellow images are actually modern foods! A nice tie-in to modern life, without it being overpowering. Another plus point for this wallpaper is that adjacent walls can be covered with it without any hiccups - it will flow seamlessly.

That covers everything that can be purchased without working through the goals. I have to say that I really like this update. So much so that I may well do an Ancient Egypt themed area!

And perhaps the best thing about this update is that it was asked for by the players. Over on the TeamLava Forum there is a thread for theme suggestions and I have seen this one requested numerous times since I started visiting. It's great for the game's developers to give something back to the players!

5 comments:

  1. I always enjoy reading your thoughts on new items, I agree that this is a very exciting update, and I'm sure I'll be making an Egyptian theme in the near future. Love the Spinx Fountain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the design of the Pharaoh Throne. It’s quite elaborate and detailed, like the Sarcophagus Statue. If you think of it as a gold chair rather than a throne, it’s a nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice viewpoint. As a carving of gold, it does appeal much more. There's certainly plenty of time has been put into its design. It's just a shame that the same time couldn't have been put into coming up with its name! :)

      Delete
  3. Can you put back the under the sea goal. I wasn't able to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've mistaken me as the chief maker of the game Vladymir! I'm just a dedicated fan who is obsessed enough by the game to run a blog!

      Regardless, I'm afraid TeamLava don't offer any sets of goals again after they expire. It's a bit of a pain and something they should look at, but for now you're going to have to just leave it unfortunately. :)

      Delete