Wednesday 20 August 2014

Game update: 20/08/14

We're into the dying embers of Summer, and this week there's a bright and cheerful outdoor update to prolong the nice weather for as long as possible.

Notification for latest Summer update

The content is all unlocked at level 14, which is much lower than we've seen of late. That's good as it means that most of the playing community can get involved in the update. However Android users may have to wait as I believe there could be a new version coming your way with the fresh content.

Update: 'Restaurant Story: Summer Fun' is now available on Google Play.

Let's take a look at the list of all the new items:

Tables:
  • Summer Tree Table - 4 gems
Chairs:
  • Summer Days Chair - 8,500 coins
Wall decorations:
  • Summer Dreams Door - 24 gems
  • Flowers-Line - 9,000 coins
Floor decorations:
  • Summer Fun - 20 gems
  • Field Fence Divider - 4,500 coins
  • Flower Pinwheel - 6,500 coins
  • Summer Romance - 40,000 coins
Wallpapers:
  • Summer Field - 10,000 coins
Floor tiles:
  • Summer Grass - 2,000 coins
Counters:
  • Summer Dreams - 9,000 coins

That's a pretty wide selection of additions for a non-goals update! And the vast majority are available for coins too!

All in all it's an update that I'm very pleased with - most of the stuff blends nicely with existing content and one or two pieces in particular have me beaming ear-to-ear!

Getting into individual items, perhaps the most significant new object happens to be the most expensive one. The Summer Dreams Door is a 24 gem investment, but I believe is the first new door design the game has ever had. We have seen themed doors previously for seasonal editions of the game (at least on iOS) but these have been fixed in place within the app rather than available to buy in the market. This door is a serious upgrade on the dull default door, not least because of the marble frame. The door itself offers some class, although the butterflies are an issue for me. Why would they be on the inside?

It's strange to think that it has taken this long for TeamLava to decide to add a new door, but it is an excellent idea. Whether or not this is the first of many is unknown, but it would be nice to think that a new door is going to become commonplace in updates. Of course the high price is a shame, if not surprising considering that further generic doors come at 10 gems each anyway. Indeed it is the one thing preventing me from placing this door in my foyer where it would be the perfect match for the Tea Hat Stand.

The second headline goes to the Summer Grass floor tile. I've waited for a long time to witness the addition of a plain grassy floor tile for coins. First there was the Astro Turf which although plain has a dark lining around the edge and crucially costs gems. Then there was the Spring Meadow flooring which was a bit too bright. Next to arrive was the Dandelion Field which was spotted with dandelions (obviously!) At long last the game's developers have answered by pleas and provided a non-descript grass for an affordable price.

The Summer Grass is going straight into my restaurant, along with many other players' diner I'm sure.

To go with the new floor tile is the Summer Field wallpaper. It is similar to a variety of recent wallpapers with lots of greenery, except that this time there's a white fence in the foreground. Again I like this piece as much for its simplicity - so often I feel that there is too much crammed into the relatively small 'canvas'. And there's also a satisfying continuity here with the Field Fence Divider coming together with the Summer Field wallpaper very well. It's another coin item which is always pleasing, and is definitely being added to my place as another option for splitting the indoor and outdoor areas.

As for the rest of the floor decorations? The Summer Romance is a 4x4 whopper depicting two young lovers holding hands in a field of happy flowers. If only real life was quite so joyful! In all seriousness any 4x4 item available for coins is a steal, although you may feel the lighter shade of green for the grass merges better with the Spring Meadow floor tile than the new Summer Grass.

The Flower Pinwheel is also up for coins, and is a cute little piece which will work well as what I'd call a 'filler' item - it's never going to be the centre of a masterpiece in design but can really help fill out a theme. The last of the new floor decorations is the Summer Fun, which consists of a large tree with a swinging tyre, complete with two people having the time of their lives. It's another winner in my eyes, even at 20 gems. The deep greens give that sense of lushness and it's an action shot, which always appeals. This one is a 3x3 addition, and I'd say it's reasonably priced considering the heavy presence of what you're buying.

Moving to the Summer Tree Table, and the 4 gem price tag will scare off most. It puts me in mind of the Blossom Table from a previous goal set, although the gnarled tree base would look at home in a Halloween theme. The fluttering butterflies are a nice touch and a rare case of part of an item being suspended in mid-air. The Summer Days Chair also has butterflies included, but this time they're taking a rest on it. It comes at a less frightening 8,500 coins, and is certainly a possibility if you can find a matching table.

We close out the analysis with a return to my least favourite material... glass! The Summer Tree Table had some (and I leniently let it off with that!) but the Summer Dreams counter is not going to escape my wrath. Once again the glass box with something inside is in attendance. The inclusion of the butterflies tearing around inside means I'll not get too angry as we can pass this off as a butterfly sanctuary. However I'd have no inclination to dump a large bowl of steaming Stew on top!

The Flowers-Line is a wall decoration which also has an element of glass to it with each of the three flowers in a row nestling in a tiny glass pot. I'm not sure how to utilise this object, which is a pity considering I've accidentally bought one!

For a second consecutive week there are no new recipes to report. I voiced grave concerns about this last week, and am now extra worried that we could be headed the way of Bakery Story where there was a famine of new dishes which lasted for around a year. Maybe I'm just overreacting?!

Nevertheless, I'm really enjoying this update, which not only provided the goods in terms of volume, but also gave lots of quality items too. So much so that I've already given my outdoor section a makeover:

Late Summer section of The Garlic Tree

The Summer Fun has found it's way into the area, with the Kissing Swans and Petting Zoo existing purchases which have also been included. It the Petting Zoo which I'm most pleased about - I've never had it out of storage since gaining it from last year's Birthday Party goals, but it goes to show that you never know when an item may come in handy. The white fencing of the pen fits superbly with the Field Fence Divider and Summer Field wallpaper.

Also on show are a fair few other bits and pieces which have been seen many a time before, such as the Vegetable Display, Picnic Painting, Spring Picnic and Playful Parasol. With Autumn fast approaching this display is only likely to be around for a few weeks before I bring out the Cider Bar for the punters!

To close out, I'm delighted with this update. The abundance of content leads me to believe that this is the last Summer themed update we're going to get (possibly ever depending on the development of Restaurant Story 2) and the gamemakers haven't let us down. In the main the prices are affordable, the stuff is all unlocked at an early level, and crucially it's really pleasing from an aesthetic standpoint. Well done TeamLava!

8 comments:

  1. Ok, so I have an apology to make. I very hastily went to the TeamLava blog to take a sneak peek at the items before immediately writing them off as recycled. I didn't take a good look, and I have to admit I was slightly biased as I was already a little disappointed to hear of even more summer themed items.

    When the update finally hit my restaurant, and I took a close view of every item, I realised just how mistaken I was. Although I don't have a summer theme in my restaurant at the moment, it made me wish I did! Most of all the 3x3 Summer Fun item!! And I agree that the grass floor tile for money is a steal.

    You could say I was punished for being harsh early on as while I was viewing the wallpaper, I also accidentally bought one, which frustrated me as I'm saving for expansion. But the real kicker was when I woke up this morning to find that I'd not made a single dollar overnight as I'd left my umbrella stand in front of my door from when I was previewing yesterday. Karma..

    The thing that really worried me about this post, is the mention of Restaurant Story 2, and the possibility of perhaps less updates.. That's a scary thought, but as long as I see out this year's Halloween and Christmas, I'll be a happy player.

    Thanks for your blog, and sorry I was so hasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised (and shocked) by your quick criticism!

      As I mentioned above, I expect that we'll move on from Summer updates now. The timetable for this time of year tends to be...

      September - Autumn
      October - Halloween
      November - Thanksgiving
      December - Christmas

      There have always tended to be multiple updates for each theme, but with one week only updates of late time will tell if this will be repeated.

      And with Black Friday sales in the offing too, this is my favourite period of the year in TeamLava games. I have high expectations, and sincerely hope that the inevitable winding down of updates due to RS2 taking priority doesn't come until into 2015.

      Oh, and I've been known to have the String Quartet block my door overnight, so don't feel too daft! :)

      Delete
  2. Is "Restaurant Story: Summer Fun" a required update on Android? I'd like to keep my regular version.

    I have two Restaurant Story games, one on Android and one on iOS and have never seen updates to the Apple version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seasonal editions of the game on Android include new content and the only way to get it is to download the new version, so I do recommend you do it. However you'll be pleased to hear that once you've loaded up the new edition and got the extra stuff, you can go back to the original version straightaway and the new items should now be in it.

      iOS did get special editions for the big themes (Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's) in years gone by, but it's something which has stopped. I don't know if releasing new apps on iOS is maybe now more difficult for some reason but it is a shame. Remember though that you don't miss out on any new content on iOS - everything always comes in the Wednesday update. :)

      Delete
  3. How do you sell stuff on the game to get coins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, when an item is placed in your restaurant, go into design mode and tap on the item. Three buttons will appear on the right of the screen - rotate, store and sell. Hit sell and after confirming the action you'll have sold the item.

      It's worth noting that you only tend to get back a tenth of the original value of an item when selling it, so something that cost 1,000 coins will sell for only 100 coins. :)

      Delete
  4. How do you sell the stuff in your storage.

    ReplyDelete