Saturday 30 August 2014

Recipe ratings (9 hours)

Information in this post is correct as of Saturday 30th August 2014.

We're past the halfway point in the recipe rating contests, and this week the 9 hour dishes are the ones being placed under the microscope.

There are only seven 9 hour recipes in the game, making it the smallest pool that is being dissected for the Hall of Fame. Since the duration is so sparse in foods, here's a list of all the recipes being examined:

  • Caramel Apples - Basic Stove
  • Peruvian Loin Sautee - Basic Stove
  • Pirate Cupcakes - Basic Oven
  • Beef and Rice Patty - Basic Grill
  • Roasted Parsnips - Vegan Stove
  • Jack'O'Apples - Condiment Lab
  • Boiled Crab - Crab Grill

The latter two dishes in the list are goal recipes, and such aren't available to players who didn't unlock them at the time of their respective goals. But don't worry if you haven't got them - I can tell you right now that they're both well inferior to the rest!

 Recent recipe rating posts
 18/08/14 8 hours
 02/08/14 7 hours
 19/07/14 6 hours
 21/06/14 5 hours
 07/06/14 4 hours

Each of the 9 hour efforts has the standard 4 coins per plate, which means that profit and portions are paired. So a recipe with a good profit number will have a good portions number. Likewise poor profit equates to poor portions.

So let's start by taking a look at profit and portions. It's quite simple really, with the Peruvian Loin Sautee (Basic Stove) leading in both departments:

Peruvian Loin Sautee
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
10 8 10 10 4 9.1

With an overall rating of 9.1, the loin is a belter of a dish. Being the top dog for profit and portions means there's also a ten for profit per plate (although it leads this factor by a negligible margin), and the XP score is impressive too.

Worthy of mentioning are the Caramel Apples (Basic Stove), which come very close to the loin on both profit and portions:

Caramel Apples
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
10 8 10 1 4 8.2

Consequently the apples also manage to hit purple for those two variables - the only rating difference from the loin is for profit per plate. A flaw in my ratings process is flagged up here, with the apples earning 2.93 coins profit per plate which is only a smidgeon below the 2.94 for the loin. Yet the apples get a measly score of one in the ratings while the loin nets a ten. What I'm really saying is that there's much less between these two recipes than the overall rating suggests!

Neither of these foods are the master of XP among 9 hour recipes. That title belongs to the Roasted Parsnips (Vegan Stove) with a snazzy 143 XP:

Roasted Parsnips
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
6 10 6 1 5 6.7

That's a strong XP gain, with only two longer dishes bettering it on a per hour basis. Unfortunately average profit and portion stats result in no big challenge from the parsnips for the all-round crown. There's a noticeable gap down to the next best on the XP trail, with the Caramel Apples and Beef and Rice Patty (Basic Grill) both offering 123 XP. We've seen the apples' ratings already, but here's the patty's numbers:

Beef and Rice Patty
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
9 8 9 1 5 7.7

It may fall short of the parnips for XP, but makes up enough points elsewhere to snatch a podium position, albeit not the top step. The Peruvian Loin Sautee has done enough to book a slot in the Recipe Hall of Fame!

Before I sign off, I'd like to draw attention to the middling availability ratings which plague the 9 hour bracket. Beyond the two goal recipes, they all unlock between levels 52 and 63. That's a surprisingly small (and high) window, so it would be nice to see any future 9 hour additions being accessible much sooner.

6 comments:

  1. Your recipe rating comes at an ideal time in the week. Following a RS Box update that I'm not interested in leaves quite an entertainment gap in the game for me. These recipe ratings are great to see which will be the next in line for me to grab a gem or two from.

    I'm a big fan of the Caramel Apples and Peruvian Loin Sautee, they really helped me when I was trying to level up quickly. Great length of time to place overnight; dependant on your sleeping hours, one of the longer dishes you can put on before sleep and be ready before you leave for work the next morning.

    Thanks for doing the math. Now looking forward to see if we've definitely got some goals coming next week, and what they might be! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me an 8 hour recipe is the best for overnight cooking, but that's where each player's own lifestyle comes in. It's just a shame the 9 hour bracket is quite sparse compared with the others.

      Once the recipe ratings are all done I'm thinking about doing a post or two about how to maximise your profit/XP/portions every day, using recipes from across the durations. :)

      Delete
  2. That would be interesting to read! I used to do the maths every day trying to figure out which would suit most for a certain amount of time. On a slightly different issue, I'm finding that my overnight profit just isn't what it used to be. Of course I understand that if you have higher profit-to-plate dishes available (I'm talking Roast Chicken and Apple Pies here), you should bring in more money in any given time period, but even with 3 of my current dishes going for $5 per plate, and none of the rest below $4, it still seems like a slow turn over.

    So a quick look at my restaurant will show you that I'm experimenting with the seating tonight to see how I fare (unfortunately it that makes it look untidy). I've closed off all of my small themed areas and added much more seating closer to the door to see if the customer turn over makes a very noticeable difference.

    Even if I get positive results tonight, I won't keep things that way, as I prefer the look of my restaurant over a slight profit increase. I just want to see how much difference (if any) it will make.

    Have you experimented with this before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually! I've always been too obsessed with making sure everything looks neat to upset the balance by testing seating plans. However I've now pretty much mastered all the recipes (minus one of course!) so might try it out sometime.

      I've read quite a bit about seating arrangements on the TL Forum, and it seems pretty clear that you can really boost your earnings by minimising the distance the bots travel. I've done this over in Bakery as making profit is so difficult over there.

      You may have done this already, but I have in the past tried to find out how much income I produce in a day by taking a note of my coin balance, closing the game for a set time, and then returning to jot down the new balance (assuming 4 coins per plate on all counters). My current layout seemingly gives around 41,000 coins per day, which isn't far off the 45,000 coins which is reported to be the maximum. I'm not sure that adds up since my layout isn't particularly efficient, so will have another look at some stage! :)

      Delete
  3. Well in case you're interested, I found a huge difference in my profit last night. By limiting all my accessible tables closer to the door, over an 9 hour period, I earned an extra $20,000! That's approximately $54,000 a day I've been missing out on.

    I did find the theory behind this on the forum as you mentioned. Now I'm considering maximising it even further, but I'm hesitant to ruin my layout any more.

    When you get a chance to experiment, I'm sure you'll be interested with what you find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting stuff. I'm in the same boat of being apprehensive about disrupting my layout, so might wait until after all the busyness of the final three months of the year when my focus will be on spending!

      The other aspect of testing to consider is what happens when you leave the game open. I've read that this increases income further still, although I'm not keen on leaving my iPad lit up all night, even if it is on the charger! :)

      Delete