Wednesday 18 June 2014

Game update: 18/06/14

The World Cup is in full flow, and unsurprisingly Restaurant Story is getting involved with a football (ahem, not soccer!) themed update.

Notification for football update

Here's a look at how the new items line up:

Tables:
  • Soccer Ball Table - 3 gems
Chairs:
  • Goalie Net Chair - 8,000 coins
Wall decorations:
  • Goal Poster - 11,000 coins
Floor decorations:
  • Champion Trophy - 10 gems
  • Halftime Snacks - 15,000 coins
Wallpapers:
  • Soccer Wallpaper - 8,000 coins
Counters:
  • Soccer Counter - 5 gems

Everything's available from level 14 which is nice to see, although it looks like Androiders are going to have to wait for a seasonal app. As well as the new stuff listed above, there is a new recipe on the Basic Stove. More on that in the second half.

Update: 'Restaurant Story: Soccer World' is now available on the Android market.

I'm not overly excited by this update. You can't keep me away from the World Cup, and as a hardcore football fan this update joins previous sporty updates in feeling lacking. I guess this is because these themes are directed to a general audience, much of which won't be massive football nuts like I am.

Even so I think TeamLava have missed a trick. After all the World Cup is currently taking place in Brazil so there was an opportunity here for an update not just related to football but also taking in the culture and colour of Brazil. It's a vibrant nation with great passion, and could have made for a fantastic update with the football stuff laced in.

What we have gets a mixed reaction from me. The Soccer Ball Table has the classic football pattern and is designed with a curvature - like a football. The 3 gem price tag is an issue though. The same can be said for the 5 gem Soccer Counter. This counter falls into my category of glass counters with something inside. Why? It looks alright but I'd like to see the game's developers show a bit of imagination.

The Goalie Net Chair is a fail for me. The need for a back to the chair means it looks nothing like the frame of the goal, and thus it's entire appearance looks bizarre. At least it's for coins.

The two wall items are also coin additions, with the Goal Poster a decent piece. It's as far removed from the vibrancy of Brazil as could be, and for some reason puts me more in mind of the American sports - maybe that's a result of the stars and stripes?! The Soccer Wallpaper is nice. It's a simple enough design but still includes plenty of elements. Slapping a number of these together on the wall could look silly however as there would be a row of footballs. I suppose we can pretend it's a training session going on in the background!

The two floor decorations are the positives in this update in my opinion. The Halftime Snacks is a buffet of foods, and as ever I'm looking closely for dishes which have been recycled. I think they may all be reused, with the onion rings in particular sticking out to me. I presume the football on a plate is a cake! The green and white checked cloth is a nice touch as it might make this a candidate for my sports themed section - the green would go well with the grass. My sports area is really about American football, but I may just pull it out of storage to incorporate the Halftime Snacks.

The other new floor decoration is the Champion Trophy. No doubt it would be a violation of copyright for TeamLava to put a gong in there in the shape of the World Cup trophy, so instead we've gotten a plain piece of silverware with a silver football shoved into the top. It feels a tad lazy, but there you have it. For 10 gems I'm not sure it's worth it, but it's the closest I'm ever going to get to World Cup glory.

The laziness (and my cynicism) continues with the new recipe:

New recipe on Basic Stove

The Soccer Ball Cupcakes are found on the Basic Stove. Here's their recipe ratings:

Soccer Ball Cupcakes
Profit XP gain Portions Profit per plate Availability Rating
5 3 4 10 9 4.9

This dish is looking squarely at an early exit from the World Cup! It gives less than half of the profit and portions of the leader for each factor, with the XP gain not far off. The early level of unlock isn't even much to get excited about because there are several better 8 hour recipes which are accessible sooner anyway, such as Sticky Figgy Pop (Drink Machine) and Tuna Makki (Sushi Bar).

Adding to my disappointment here is the fact that we've got yet another cupcake dish. Have the gamemakers totally run out of ideas? And to add to the madness I ask this very simple question - in the real world when was the last time you made cupcakes on your stove?

Overall I'm not too enthused here. With a basketball theme earlier in the year and sporty updates back in the early days, I feel the sports base has been well covered now. A Brazilian carnival would have been a much better concept. I'll keep hoping we get that before the World Cup is out and in the mean time will settle down to the festival of football that is Cameroon against Croatia!

No comments:

Post a Comment